MyBB Hacks

Full Version: Mybb2.0 and yii
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently MYBB team posted in their blog post that the next version of mybb is being written  from scratch in a MVC method and they are using yii framework..

So what do you think about this approach?

I have started playing with yii and I found it very easy to use. It`s gii(a module that generate example code from a database table)  module is awesome. Although MVC is new to me and I also have a basic knowledge on php still I found yii to be much easier than others..
I've had a quick look at it (more used to Kohana) and it does look pretty nice. We looked at quite a few and Yii came out on top.
Another thing that I like about yii is Cactiveclass thingy, it is also very usefull.
I guess mybb2.0 will use jquery as yii also uses it by default.

Btw I like the current mybb theming system and I would not like to edit the view files for each theme(as it is with the default theming system in yii) while making a theme. I hope devs get us a easy theming system for 2.0.
I like the screenshots of the login page. I just hope that mybb is using a css reset this time.
(06-20-2011 10:54 PM)techu Wrote: [ -> ]I guess mybb2.0 will use jquery as yii also uses it by default.

Indeed it will.

(06-20-2011 10:54 PM)techu Wrote: [ -> ]Btw I like the current mybb theming system and I would not like to edit the view files for each theme(as it is with the default theming system in yii) while making a theme. I hope devs get us a easy theming system for 2.0.

I'll see to it myself that we don't make things more complicated Tongue Not that we would anyway Smile

(06-20-2011 10:54 PM)techu Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope that mybb is using a css reset this time.

Yep, it does.
(06-21-2011 04:07 AM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]I'll see to it myself that we don't make things more complicated Tongue Not that we would anyway Smile
Thanks Matt. Smile
(06-21-2011 04:07 AM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2011 10:54 PM)techu Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope that mybb is using a css reset this time.
Yep, it does.
that`s great..Biggrin
Sorry for bumping this thread.

I don't know whether MyBB already decided for the framework they want to use.

I would like to ask this question (noob question):
Which is better (for forum software like MyBB, or CMS/Blog software), using a ready to use framework or creating their own framework?
If one can actually write a good framework, and you don't really have time constraints / don't mind wasted efforts, one would say that writing your own would most likely be better as you can tailor it a bit to the application.

But of course, redoing what's already been done is rather sucky, so unless you need something really specific, it's usually better to just use a framework for a largish system.

Downsides of frameworks would probably be that I find some things are sometimes over-engineered for what you need, which may not be too big of an issue with compiled languages, but something like PHP which has to dynamically grab everything, can have a fair impact on speed.
Sometimes they can take a fair while to learn.
You also may have issues where you want to change something slightly, but feel obliged not to modify the framework's code.  Or perhaps having too much a focus on 'good design' can sometimes strongly impact performance for some things you want to do.
No doubt that using a ready to use framework reduces development time etc. It also provide all the necessary libraries for the software and then some. Mybb aims to be a lite weight forum software and the a ready to use framework like yii got lots of unnecessary stuff that mybb is ever going to use. Moreover if the framework developer drops the project then it will be hard to maintain and update the software. If the framework developers decides to rewrite the whole thing then the software based on the framework needs to be rewritten. if using a ready to use framework the application developer have less control over the codes.
IMHO no project should use too much of 3rd party stuff unless and until it is really necessary. I don't think developing their own framework is a very big job and they should use their own framework.
(05-19-2012 12:40 PM)techu Wrote: [ -> ]Moreover if the framework developer drops the project then it will be hard to maintain and update the software. If the framework developers decides to rewrite the whole thing then the software based on the framework needs to be rewritten. if using a ready to use framework the application developer have less control over the codes.
IMHO no project should use too much of 3rd party stuff unless and until it is really necessary. I don't think developing their own framework is a very big job and they should use their own framework.
Largely untrue.
IMO,framework is good for developers,but not for consumers. Smile
For example,I don't think small forum must install framework,too.Morever & as far as I know,framework uses more server resource.
So,it really will make disadvantage for consumers/forum admins.
Biggrin

Btw,will XThreads still work with Yii? I'm afraid of it. xD
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's