What features would you like in MyBB?
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
What features would you like in MyBB?
Not that I'll likely develop it, but I'm just interested to see what people here believe to be a nice feature that would be useful across most forums.

My Blog
05-17-2010 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user
Pirata Nervo Offline
RE: What features would you like in MyBB?
An image resizer like you have on EP?
05-18-2010 02:16 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
Enhancing Custom Profile Fields.

05-18-2010 03:26 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(05-18-2010 02:16 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  An image resizer like you have on EP?
Isn't there one out already?
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/image-resizer-&-optimizer
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/fit-on-page
IDK how good it is.

(05-18-2010 03:26 PM)Rateu Wrote:  Enhancing Custom Profile Fields.
In what way?

Thanks for the replies. Smile

My Blog
05-19-2010 05:18 PM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(05-19-2010 05:18 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(05-18-2010 02:16 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  An image resizer like you have on EP?
Isn't there one out already?
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/image-resizer-&-optimizer
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/fit-on-page
IDK how good it is.

(05-18-2010 03:26 PM)Rateu Wrote:  Enhancing Custom Profile Fields.
In what way?

Thanks for the replies. Smile

Yours is way better Tongue
05-20-2010 12:04 AM
Harry Offline
Talking features and not mods/plugins.. Tongue  Trash can, paid subscriptions which yeah i know is getting added to 2.0, Your thread tooltip, Thread subtitle.. Most things i need ( except the Arcade which i know would never be added ) will be there with 1.6 out. Thus my thing would be more with the layout and perhaps the profile section. Which yeah i know is not your end except the profile section.

With the profile stuff my views are split. I know alot of people want the facebook stuff BUT seriously how long do you all think Facebook will be around? It's weaknesses are really starting to be exposed with the hacking of accounts and viruses being spread etc. People will get enough of that and move on as they did from yahoo/msn etc etc. Forums ofcourse could benefit from adding some ( some not all ) of that stuff but mainly if it is something that can be better controlled. I think Forums will do just that. Despite the dire predictions of some for forums i don't see them going anywhere anytime soon as there is just too many benefits with them.

Hopefully every system learned a lesson from IPB and thus what NOT to do as far as design goes. Sorry but they really messed that up and many still have issues related to browsers. I'll add more in a short bit if anyone is interested ofcourse.
05-20-2010 07:00 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(05-19-2010 05:18 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  In what way?

With Custom Profile Fields, we can add some user related stuff into profile page. And we can display it to postbit (optional). Also, we have an ability (an option) to add some fields into the registration page.

In other words, for noob users like me, I think using the Custom Profile Fields is the easiest way for adding user related stuff to three different location: registration page, profile page and postbit. So, I think it is a useful feature.

My opinion / suggestion for Custom Profile Fields as a default feature:
  • An option to add a non-required fields to registration page.
  • "Hide on profile?" setting. If we choose "Yes", why the profile owner can't view the field in their own profile? I can't find a good reason for this. They can still see/edit it in their user cp, why not in their own profile? Right now, I need to edit member.php file for this. Yes, I know the description in this setting is clear enough, so I think my opinion is pointless Biggrin
  • We don't have an ability to set a value if a user didn't fill a non-required fields, just like "Blank Replacement Value" feature in XThreads.
    In Custom Profile Fields, the fields value ({$customfieldval}) will be displayed as a blank cell, but the fields title ({$customfield['name']}) is there. At least don't display it  ({$customfields}) if a user didn't fill it. Again, right now I need to edit the member.php file for this.

My opinion / suggestion for Custom Profile Fields as an additional feature:
  • An option how we want to display it, like "Display Format" in XThreads.
  • An ability to display / put it manually in our templates. XThreads has this flexibility.
Actually, XThreads is a perfect system for this, but I don't want to make the dream become "too good to be true". So, I just put the most important (I think) features here.

It is only my opinion, Yumi Smile

05-20-2010 08:19 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
I have been thinking about what would be an enhancement to myBB and I think there are different "wishes" depending on a persons role in a forum. As an Admin, I want to make my site as accessible as possible and make browsing the forum easy. For me, the best way to encourage browsing is via the portal page. The current portal page is not very exciting - but with a bit of styling it can look good. However, I think that visuals (images) are important, and that is my big wish (as an admin) - to be able to add links on the portal to areas of the forum using the images/data in the threads....more and more of my forum areas are becoming X threads based though.

I have a couple of plug ins on my portal page now (both made by RateU) which are perfect for my needs, they link to existing attachments from the myBB attachments.php and display them on the home page. Unfortunately, at the moment, this means that I have to have double images on my server and try and communicate to my users that THIS pic is visible on this part of the forum and THAT pic is visible on that part of the forum. They just get lost and confused. Which is not surprising Smile

Which brings me to the other Role on a forum - the user. Nowadays, any person with an internet connection can go get a free blog and make a space of their own on the internet. In order to get users to come and use the forum and get involved with our sites I think users need to feel that they have a space of their own. The profile page is perfect for that (imo). Rather than having the wall of text and info pages I would like to see more links to how users have participated in the forum - so by using the forum they get to prettify their page.

An example is the latest threads / latest posts link on the profile page. It woud be truly awesome if that connection could be used to display activities per forum. On my forum for example I have a picture gallery, a download page and a finds page. All of these are picture intensive and being able to display the latest threads created by a user on a profile page in an attractive way would increase profile visits and hopefully participation. If you want a pretty profile then you have to post....

I realise that this is just a hopes and dreams thread - but that is what I would like to see in MyBB.

(05-17-2010 09:25 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Not that I'll likely develop it, but I'm just interested to see what people here believe to be a nice feature that would be useful across most forums.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2010 09:38 PM by leefish.)
06-02-2010 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
walkman Offline
This was the first time that I used Mybb and I am very impressed with it. A couple of features that would need a bit improving in my opinion would be the custom profile as mentioned above and a better portal system.
06-03-2010 01:05 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Forgot I saved a draft on this one.

(05-20-2010 12:04 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  Yours is way better Tongue
It's a pure Javascript resizer - not really the best solution actually, since the entire image needs to be loaded before the resizing can occur.  On the other hand, being client side, it incurs zero additional server load, so maybe not so bad.
Being JS based, you can probably steal the code from EP...

(06-02-2010 09:37 PM)leefish Wrote:  Which brings me to the other Role on a forum - the user. Nowadays, any person with an internet connection can go get a free blog and make a space of their own on the internet. In order to get users to come and use the forum and get involved with our sites I think users need to feel that they have a space of their own. The profile page is perfect for that (imo). Rather than having the wall of text and info pages I would like to see more links to how users have participated in the forum - so by using the forum they get to prettify their page.

An example is the latest threads / latest posts link on the profile page. It woud be truly awesome if that connection could be used to display activities per forum. On my forum for example I have a picture gallery, a download page and a finds page. All of these are picture intensive and being able to display the latest threads created by a user on a profile page in an attractive way would increase profile visits and hopefully participation. If you want a pretty profile then you have to post....
I think I did see a profile comments plugin, which might strengthen that page a bit, but having latest activity displayed directly on there would be nice.

BTW, seems that I still haven't taken this down: http://sc2.zingaburga.com/ (something I made ages ago) - modified portal - dunno if modifications still work.

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2010 09:05 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-03-2010 09:05 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools