PHP & ?? How to edit a "Message catalog binary file?" or "GNU Gettext..."
Firefox Wins Offline
RE: PHP & ?? How to edit a "Message catalog binary file?" or "GNU Gettext..."
(12-04-2010 06:21 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  What the hell are you doing?

Notepad and co aren't designed to edit binary files...

Well, I suppose Yahoo! Answers isn't designed to give very good answers.  Tongue
The attempt to use Notepad++ started there @ a Yahoo question/answer.
The Best Answer - Chosen by Voters, would work for most of the file-types mentioned, but not .mo

(12-04-2010 06:21 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  But I have no idea what file you're trying to edit and...

Sure you do:
Quote:"...Making some progress:
.mo files are created from .po files"
^^^
The quote ".mo files are created from .po files" is based on what I saw at Wordpress.org.
FYI: There isn't much (easy) to find about .mo files with a quick Google search. They are used in Language files for some scripts.

(12-04-2010 06:21 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...and where you got it from...
Comes from an open source PHP script downloaded from sourceforge.net; Wordpress also seems to use similar files.

From Worpress
"MO (Machine Object) files
    The final step in the localization process is that the PO file is run through a program that turns it into an optimized machine-readable binary file (MO file). Compiling the translations to machine code makes the localized program much faster in retrieving the translations while it is running."

I'll look at a hex editor, thanks for the tip.
Update:
No luck yet with a final answer.
With WP (for example), they offer downloads of the source (.po) files, which can be converted, using Poedit, into .mo files.
Poedit does not open .mo files, only a one-way (export)

Do you (or anyone else) have a favorite hex editor, which works with different file extensions?
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 10:06 PM by Firefox Wins.)
12-04-2010 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: PHP & ?? How to edit a "Message catalog binary file?" or "GNU Gettext..." - Firefox Wins - 12-04-2010 09:09 PM

Standard Tools