Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
 X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability
MasterZuFu Offline
RE: X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability
Hmm...no, not entirely. This is backwards from what I'm thinking. I don't want to export x-thread things as potential plugins that don't have to rely on "x-threads" to function. What I'm saying is it'd be really nice to have X-Thread have the capability to make a new module in the admin cp that will allow x-threads to function as though it's a "plugin manager" and be able to insert portions of code into MyBB as if they were their own plugins.

Let me see if I can't explain it better, maybe even diagram it some.

MyBB has a plugin system right? That's so that people can write scripts and codes to manipulate the inner parts of MyBB in a way that MyBB by itself can't do. For example, we could do all the things we do now without the Plugin X-Threads. Now WITH X-Threads we are able to manipulate MyBB in ways that it's normally not capable of doing. However, X-Threads is still limited in its ability because there are some functions it doesn't reach to or would require another plugin to do (use my request for my training forum and needing to calculate prices).

So what I'm saying is:

Create another module in the ACP (much like the Custom Thread Fields) which would allow X-Threads to input individual codes into MyBB that would function like a plugin.

I think the best possible example I'm trying to give would be what's known as a "Virtual Computer". A virtual computer is ALL software, it's an emulated computer WITHIN another computer. It emulates a processor, monitor, ram etc. etc. So you can turn this virtual computer on within your own computer and it works just like a real computer. (Here, check this out: http://www.virtualbox.org/ and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DiPRrE3Bg)

Use X-Threads in a similar way. In this I mean, use X-Threads to EMULATE plugins by giving it the functionality to input individual portions of code and then be able to call the code within MyBB's templates. X-Threads would be the only real plugin, but you'd be able to use X-Threads to host other codes in the same way you use it to create custom thread fields.

I hope this made sense and isn't too confusing. It sounds like it would take a lot of work to figure out and do, but I'm not too sure about that, I'm thinking this would be relatively easy to handle if you worked it the right way.

Then again I'm not a coder and I don't know MyBB's internal systems well enough to say if this would be an easy job or not.

12-17-2010 05:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability - MasterZuFu - 12-17-2010 05:32 AM

Standard Tools