Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
 X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability
MasterZuFu Offline
RE: X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability
OMFG I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS GONNA BE THIS LONG....SORRY!!!!

I understand that xthreads is meant to work along side other plugins (and in fact, that's freaking AWESOME!!!!), but let's use this example.

I get plugin "Alpha" and install it and activate it. Turns out four months down the line plugin "Alpha" has an XSS vulnerability allowing an attacker to conduct a zero-day attack on my site, effectively rendering it inoperable. Now, let's say I had only installed plugin Alpha for it's capability to create an active clock in the postbit. Now, let's say that functionality was actually only a mere addition to the real plugin's feature presentation and let's say that the vulnerability originated elsewhere in the script for the plugin. I didn't even want (or use) the rest of the plugin, I just used that one part of the plugin for something else I was doing with xthreads and, if I had been able to extract this arbitrary code from the plugin and placed it directly into a plugin-emulating system within xthreads, the XSS vulnerability wouldn't be there and I'd get exactly what I wanted and needed and absolutely nothing more.

Of course that's entirely hypothetical. I don't know how to code worth a crap so, I couldn't tell you if this worked or not. I'm just throwing out ideas Tongue. That's what I do, I take things I'm interested in and I pick them apart and try to come up with the wildest ideas possible with them and see if they might work. A lot of times they're WAYYYY the heck off in left field, sometimes they're really good ideas but no one's willing to work on it, and sometimes they're just right and someone hops right on it. I truly wish I knew how to code php, because I would be able to at least assist in these and give my ideas a jump start at the very least.

For example, here's an idea:

When I was setting up the article gallery application on my forum I realized I had almost fifteen different forums that would be using this. It was very tedious and annoying having to go to each individual forum and do the same....exact....thing over and over again until I finally finished them all (same thing with these templates, why can't we find some way to make it where we could use one template for all forums and just tie the forms into them via the custom thread fields? The biggest problem is that some settings differ for each forum and unless they're the same you have no choice but to make a new template all over again and edit it....isn't there a way to make some kind of if/then statement in the templates that allows the template to be multi-functional with the custom thread fields? just a thought Tongue).

So why not just put a check box in all the forum setting areas where the xthreads options are that says "Enable XThreads Options in this forum" and you can select whether or not they're active, and that then ties into another module (like the custom thread fields) where you can (like the custom thread fields) then set ONE XThreads Options setting to be represented on MULTIPLE forums at once? And, because you checked the box "yes" in the area where the Xthreads options are currently, it's able to tie that code directly into it as if it never left. I hope you see what I'm saying, it's like this:

I have ten forums. I write a script out, it's 127 lines long. I can impliment this script into these ten forums TWO ways:

-1st method-

Forum 1: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 2: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 3: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 4: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 5: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 6: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 7: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 8: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 9: Place the script into this forum directly.
Forum 10: Place the script into this forum directly.

-2nd Method-

XThreads Option Module: Place the script here and select which forums to place it in.

Forum 1: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 2: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 3: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 4: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 5: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 6: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 7: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 8: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 9: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.
Forum 10: Check "Yes", which calls the XThreads Options via a string variable.

Now I only have to put the script in once, I only have to edit one thing. This reduces workflow by like over a hundred steps, depending on what settings you put in the Xthreads Options settings.

I'm simply trying to simplify MyBB as much as possible. For me, I like everything to be as quick and smooth as possible, making 15 separate templates for 15 separate forums and 15 separate Xthreads Options for 15 separate forums is very tedious and time consuming. If you were able to simply do this, OMG that would be freaking AHMAHZHING!!!!

What I'm talking about with the "Plugin Emulation" within XThreads, I'm not sure that's even possible, that's just an off-the-wall idea, but it would be lovely if it were possible. Perhaps if you used a similar idea of just having XThreads already tie into every single part and function of MyBB and call it with something like {$xthreadsplgn}, you could then go into xthreads and input pieces of code into xthreads directly and just tell them from a list to be located here, here, and here in MyBB, which could possibly emulate a plugin if done properly. I don't know, this idea's a bit confusing even for me because I truthfully don't know what the heck I'm talking about with this emulation stuff..lol, I'm not sure it's even possible. I'm pretty positive the whole Xthreads Options idea and combining multiple templates is possible, but again, I'm not sure of that either.

I'm not a coder, I just want to make that clear Tongue I just toss ideas out, I'm a thinker, not a coder. I'd love to be a coder though Tongue Biggrin

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 12:35 PM by MasterZuFu.)
12-17-2010 12:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: X-Threads Capability Vs. Plugin Capability - MasterZuFu - 12-17-2010 12:34 PM

Standard Tools