Ryan Gordon has put MyBB into the ground!
exdiogene Offline
RE: Ryan Gordon has put MyBB into the ground!
I have to agree with Lich_king2 here, as the fact that the value of a person is absolutely not related to the time he is involved somewere, the salary he gets from it or the knowledge that his position is supposed to need.

Because if all these informations were the most important ones it would mean that Steven Harper is the most intelligent, efficient administrator of a country as well as Fidel Castro was!

There are multiple issues important here, and the most important one is to know if for the wellfare of MyBB the personality and knowledge of Ryan Gordon are enough?

Unfortunately i must say NO for having tried to communicate with him many times this year, trying always to find solutions together to increase the quality of the  public look on MyBB and each time i got the response of an arrogant God like person telling me to simply go away and leave them alone. Even if i was in contact with another member of the staff he get involved, quite arrogantly each time.

This person have no manners at all, is unprofessionnal, do not care about anyone else opinion even if the opinion is founded and helping the community. I would not be shy to post any Private Message exchange with him but i am quite sure he would not be happy if i show someone else the kind of response i got from him...

If we forget a bit about "bad administration" and get to the coding abilities, i must say that most of my students were believing that they were the best coders in the world in my many years of teaching. But even if pride and narcicism could be healthy with moderation to get a great carreer, it do not suit well in a volunteers project were many people have to work together for a greater good.

Since last year i was crossing the path from time to time with other coders who really disliked Ryan Gordon and i did not knew why, until recently...

Maybe he is now the working force behind the MyBB project and without him the project will probabbly continue to go down the drain. But The project would certainly not grow up with him at the top of the ladder. As a software developper having over 40 years of experience in programming with MANY languages and protocols i can tell you that even if MyBB application is a nice one with interesting features, it is lacking insight on many angles. It is almost always having bugs(not important to the developpers and mostly for Mr. Gordon himself) and have become like Microsoft Windows releases were the community are the ones debugging the application. But MyBB is not as complex as Windows from a very large margin, I know because i have been a developper for this platform for quite a while, and MyBB do not have the commercial pressure to compete with other similar products in a restricted time frame.

So, if MyBB is a open-source product, done by volunteers, why would there be any obligation to deliver a not enough tested product for years? Why would the community have to constantly pressure the staff to have bugs resolved? Why would other developpers be badly received by those volunteer developpers if they have something to offer? I can tell you that the problem is mostly because the product is free and no one cares enough to invest more in it, staff people pride is even more important as for almost all young adults! But they are expecting investors to come in and give them money for their efforts! They must be crazy, hoping that not taking this product more seriously themself, they would expect mature investors to do it!

Anyway, i can tell you that there is many flaws in MyBB, some of them were present for years and they never got corrected. The fact that MyBB is just a little more than 100,000 lines of code is not impressive to me at all. I have done new applications with next to twice this amount all by myself, so how is it impressive to see someone bragging about having done only part of these lines having a team of coders with him...

In conclusion, MyBB would be a success if it was really based on a team work, starting with the staff together and the whole community included. I could mention high staff people telling me about the lack of good and productive communication between the staff and management itself! How can you achieve something proper in these conditions? Is it an excuse to not communicate with people having good ideas to help the community because they are not part of the staff? Absolutely not!

So MyBB is becoming a more and more sterile organisation, were many will leave the boat one after the other and after a while the pseudo-leaders would leave telling everyone that it was not their fault!

I saw that so many time throught the years, but was hoping to get someone serious at MyBB having the courage to face the problems with some external help given with open heart and good intentions. But finally i saw that i was losing my time...

Even if some people would look at this post as a negative and a personal wrath agains one person, they should look at it in a different perspective as someone tired to try, with the retricted means put in place by the staff, to help a community burning bridges around them...

Sincerely,

Exdiogene.
08-06-2010 02:29 AM
Find all posts by this user

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
...useful suggestions? - Firefox Wins - 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM
RE: Ryan Gordon has put MyBB into the ground! - exdiogene - 08-06-2010 02:29 AM
MyBB is the BEST... - Firefox Wins - 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Standard Tools