Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-18-2010 06:29 AM)MattR Wrote:  Sometimes when a thread is unapproved (I'm not saying this applies to all of them), multiple people have reported it or raised concerns about it, because it's turning into a flame war and people are handing out personal attacks, so we close it and give warnings if necessary. Then, the people involved or those who reported it are happy. But then people come out saying it shouldn't have been unapproved, all the stuff people are saying here. OK, thing is, if we didn't, the people who reported it would complain that we're not doing our job. So what do we do then?? There are some people who say we should moderate less, be more lenient, let more things go, ban less, warn less. However there's other people who say we should moderate more, be stricter, let less things go, ban more, warn more. So then what the hell do we do?? This isn't just me going "boo hoo, no matter what we do we can't win", I am being completely serious. Every action we take will satisfy one group of people and anger another. Let's just say for a moment we did exactly what people here want, say we didn't unapprove/close threads as much etc, everything you want, I can pretty much guarantee that before long a different set of people would start saying that we're being unprofessional by moderating less than what they deem necessary, as opposed to you thinking we moderate more than what you deem necessary, and that undermoderating is damaging our image, as opposed to you thinking overmoderating is damaging our image. On more than one occasion there has been a thread saying we moderate too much and a thread saying we moderate too little, in a single day.
If that's the case, you're doing it totally wrong.
You evidently have a conflict, so just going with one side and then waving your hands about as if you don't know what to do isn't particularly a smart decision.

Firstly, you need to actually considering the arguments in support and against an action, from both sides, and make an evaluation.  And of course, make sure people understand why - hiding a random thread explains about as much to them as their car randomly disappearing.
I'm not saying you can please everyone, however you can attempt to at least try to work with both parties to resolve an issue.

Why do people want more moderation?  What's their incentives?  Their arguments?  Do you agree with them?  What side effects do they have?
Why do people want less moderation?  What's their incentives, etc...
Why have you picked the policies the way that they are now?  What positive and negative aspects does it have?
You need to try to explain all of that.

(07-18-2010 07:30 AM)Technoman Wrote:  The kids are in the back of MyBB and are playing PSP or there chit chating about eating humans!!!
You, on the other hand, need to be more understanding towards others and value peoples' likes and dislikes, and be more open minded in general.  Just because you think something is stupid, rude or whatever doesn't mean the majority does.  And you need to be able to accept community values, which may not even reflect the majority.

(07-18-2010 07:59 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  Yes, MyBB is free and more and more kids are coming. I'm not saying it's a bad thing if they're mature enough to be part of the MyBB community (notice that people don't need to be part of it just because they use the software!) but when kids are not mature enough to be part of the MyBB community, they just should not be welcomed
As I suspect most of these can be thanks to labrocca's hacking forums, with heaps of idiot script kiddies flooding the MyBB community.  (interestingly, this can also be advantageous to his business interests)
As long as this exists, I don't think there's going to be any less of these egotistic kiddies coming along.

My Blog
07-18-2010 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
(07-18-2010 05:35 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(07-18-2010 07:30 AM)Technoman Wrote:  The kids are in the back of MyBB and are playing PSP or there chit chating about eating humans!!!
You, on the other hand, need to be more understanding towards others and value peoples' likes and dislikes, and be more open minded in general.

I try to always be open minded so long as some act like mature human beings.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 06:12 PM by Technoman.)
07-18-2010 06:05 PM
Harry Offline
(07-18-2010 06:05 PM)Technoman Wrote:  
(07-18-2010 05:35 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
You, on the other hand, need to be more understanding towards others and value peoples' likes and dislikes, and be more open minded in general.

I try to always be open minded so long as some act like mature human beings.

Dude you do take things a bit to the extreme though. I see nothing wrong with kidding around/having fun unless ofcourse it is at someone elses ( a member etc ) expense. Sorry but you go to any of the other competitors ( IPB/PHPBB etc )  you will see joking around etc like that all the time.
07-18-2010 06:26 PM
Lich_king2 Offline
The interesting thing is that someone said he can't hack at all. Now let's see. He knows MyBB core better than most people (except Zinga which has knowledge even beyond his). He codes plugins hacking vital parts of MyBB. He has hacking forum which is running MyBB plus he sometimes reports security issues. Think about it. That board (he) is just unnecessary evil bounded to MyBB.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
07-18-2010 06:47 PM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
(07-18-2010 06:26 PM)Harry Wrote:  Dude you do take things a bit to the extreme though. I see nothing wrong with kidding around/having fun unless ofcourse it is at someone elses ( a member etc ) expense. Sorry but you go to any of the other competitors ( IPB/PHPBB etc )  you will see joking around etc like that all the time.

I completely understand the value of what your saying, And this doesn't mean that I have to agree with it either.

But I do have a right to debate just like everyone including myself on what we all posts and reply to, even if it is an opinion for some or for fun or it may be evil for others.

Thanks!
(07-18-2010 06:47 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  The interesting thing is that someone said he can't hack at all. Now let's see. He knows MyBB core better than most people (except Zinga which has knowledge even beyond his). He codes plugins hacking vital parts of MyBB. He has hacking forum which is running MyBB plus he sometimes reports security issues. Think about it. That board (he) is just unnecessary evil bounded to MyBB.

I cant say much cause HONESTLY I really don't know,  "BUT" I will say  "Sometimes" good and hard working people wind up supporting obviously criminals.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 07:50 PM by Technoman.)
07-18-2010 06:59 PM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-18-2010 05:32 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  So, if I get you right, being member of FOSS community equals to being mental sick? Sorry those guys contributed a lot to the software freedom.
Uhhh not sure what you got that from but okay.

(07-18-2010 05:32 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Oh and Pirata: Yeah but that means that anyone that gets your plugin can redistribute them for free since they are under GPL license Wink
And you are completely right! And they can even sell them for 10x times the original price as long as it remains GPL. This is the GPL spirit.

(07-18-2010 06:47 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  The interesting thing is that someone said he can't hack at all. Now let's see. He knows MyBB core better than most people (except Zinga which has knowledge even beyond his). He codes plugins hacking vital parts of MyBB. He has hacking forum which is running MyBB plus he sometimes reports security issues. Think about it. That board (he) is just unnecessary evil bounded to MyBB.

This seems like I do not agree with you at all and that I'm just here to reply to your posts but I am not but I found this kinda curious.

Notice that I understood that by "he" you were referring to "labrocca". I apologies if you weren't.

Just because labrocca might be able to hack websites, it doesn't mean it's bad. I can hack websites myself if I want to.
A good developer should know how to hack websites because in order to prevent yourself from hackers, you must understand their mind and the security holes they'd try to find and use.
Knowing how to hack is not a bad thing, being a hacker might not be a bad thing either if what you do has no damage implicated.

The problem is that kids usually do not have this perception of things and prefer to search google for hacking tutorials or something like that and use them even though they might have no idea of what they're doing (sometimes it works!).
07-18-2010 07:23 PM
Lich_king2 Offline
This would basically work if we could get rid of kids. But currently it's issue to loose time to fix the things that some script kiddie does to the site. System made for the forum like ecommerce or portal or even tracker should be payed. The plugins? Nope.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 09:41 PM by Lich_king2.)
07-18-2010 09:39 PM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-18-2010 09:39 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  This would basically work if we could get rid of kids. But currently it's issue to loose time to fix the things that some script kiddie does to the site. System made for the forum like ecommerce or portal or even tracker should be payed. The plugins? Nope.

As I said before, you're entitled to your opinion and your opinion regarding paid plugins won't change anything because as I've explained above, GPL allows me to sell and the MyBB team can't do anything if I sell my plugins under GPL. Note that they're not as of now but wouldn't make much sense for MyBB to force me to take down all my plugins since they're moving to LPGL.

However, I can't seem to understand the relation between script kiddes and paid plugins like you mentioned in the quoted post.
07-18-2010 10:04 PM
Lich_king2 Offline
I wanted to say if we got rid of the script kiddie "source" half of the problems with payed plugins and whining would be gone. Also if ''his'' plugins follow GPL license, he shouldn't be allowed to issue C&D letters or DMCA. Can't we get rid of annoyances and remake the community to enjoy the software?

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 10:29 PM by Lich_king2.)
07-18-2010 10:16 PM
Harry Offline
(07-18-2010 06:59 PM)Technoman Wrote:  
(07-18-2010 06:26 PM)Harry Wrote:  Dude you do take things a bit to the extreme though. I see nothing wrong with kidding around/having fun unless ofcourse it is at someone elses ( a member etc ) expense. Sorry but you go to any of the other competitors ( IPB/PHPBB etc )  you will see joking around etc like that all the time.

I completely understand the value of what your saying, And this doesn't mean that I have to agree with it either.

But I do have a right to debate just like everyone including myself on what we all posts and reply to, even if it is an opinion for some or for fun or it may be evil for others.

Thanks!

Did i at ANY POINT say you don't have a right to your opinion? No i did not.

I hate saying it but it seems obvious to me that no matter what anyone does you wont be happy. Sorry but you are being totally unreasonable.
07-19-2010 05:23 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools