Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
 How to format 'Product Review' text box font ?
akm Offline
RE: How to format 'Product Review' text box font ?
(01-12-2012 12:37 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I'm not too sure whether larger fonts really is the key to make things simpler/more accessible.
My idea of simplicity would be to remove a lot of unnecessary stuff and perhaps streamline the interface.  Maybe improving contrast and making certain things more obvious / easier to navigate.
Size/zoom can easily be controlled by the browser, and people having issues with smaller pages probably should increase the zoom by default I'd think.

Thank you for the suggestion/s, would agree, and am trying to do all of the above.
One thing have found, fair number of folks dont even know how to zoom a browser... and even with the process of zooming some of the display may go off the screen, and need to scroll the screen.
But am definitely trying to meet a balance.
Have already removed certain 'buttons', and when get this font/textbox thing worked out, will try some more 'simplification'.
Am really limited with streamlining, as this (forum creation) is not my day job, so unfortunately the beginner skill level can only go so far with this diy code level work.
Fortunately have had a lot of very helpful/patient support.
Couple other questions, somewhat related... would like to get a general indication, if possible, as to the feasibility, before trying to do.

1. might it be possible to make the 'reply' custom thread fields different from the 'original' post thread post custom thread fields, so replies may be posted and displayed with different info (would have the same subject) than the original thread post ?  

2. although not necessarily related to thread fields, am curious if it may be possible to limit the number of replies made by a user/s to a thread, and if the user/s wanted to add/change something they would just do it with an edit of the original/reply post ?

Thanks again for your help !
01-13-2012 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(01-13-2012 11:32 AM)akm Wrote:  One thing have found, fair number of folks dont even know how to zoom a browser... and even with the process of zooming some of the display may go off the screen, and need to scroll the screen.
Although I don't really want to criticise you on your motives here, I'm just going to put what I think down anyway.
I'm not too sure whether this is something you should be particularly concerned about.
You can definitely theme your site so that it works appropriately at different zoom levels.
However it's somewhat the browser's responsibility to allow users to actually do the zooming.  I understand that dumping the problem somewhere else really doesn't solve it, so I may propose to put instructions on how to enable zooming if you believe this to be a prime concern amongst your visitors.  Arguably though, this is still more complicated.

The thing is, for people who do know how to zoom, you'll get absurdly large fonts on their displays (unless their browser supports per-site zoom levels and they reduce the zoom for your site).  Also, users who really need larger fonts and don't have them on a system level probably find it rather difficult to operate their computer or other websites.  IMO, best to stay consistent with everything else.  Which is why I don't think the onus really lies on you, a website operator, to fix it.

But then, if you believe the majority of your users fit into this category (trouble using small fonts and don't know about zooming / adjusting system DPI/resolution settings), then fair enough.

(01-13-2012 11:32 AM)akm Wrote:  1. might it be possible to make the 'reply' custom thread fields different from the 'original' post thread post custom thread fields, so replies may be posted and displayed with different info (would have the same subject) than the original thread post ?
XThreads doesn't provide custom post fields unfortunately, only thread fields.

(01-13-2012 11:32 AM)akm Wrote:  2. although not necessarily related to thread fields, am curious if it may be possible to limit the number of replies made by a user/s to a thread, and if the user/s wanted to add/change something they would just do it with an edit of the original/reply post ?
You'd need another plugin for that.
Not sure if one is available, if not, try asking on the community forums to see if anyone is willing to write up a plugin to restrict the number of replies a user can make to a thread.

My Blog
01-13-2012 12:53 PM
akm Offline
(01-13-2012 12:53 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ....But then, if you believe the majority of your users fit into this category (trouble using small fonts and don't know about zooming / adjusting system DPI/resolution settings), then fair enough.

Appreciate the input.
The target audience is varied, but many are low-tech and older aged, hence the effort to strike a balance.
But, I like your earlier suggestion, about eliminating some unnecessary space users, should allow for at least slightly larger fonts.

On other 2 questions, appreciate the clarification, makes goal setting a bit easier !
And, thanks again for getting me on the right track with XThreads !
01-13-2012 03:29 PM
akm Offline
(01-13-2012 03:29 PM)akm Wrote:  And, thanks again for getting me on the right track !

Hope this question relates...

How to change error message at forums with xthreads textfields (scrnshot attached) ?

Source selection...

Quote:<!-- start: error_inline -->
<div class="error">
<p><em>Please correct the following errors before continuing:</em></p>
<ul>
<li>The subject is missing. Please enter a subject.</li>
<li>The message is missing. Please enter a message.</li>

</ul>
</div>
<br>
<!-- end: error_inline -->

Assume template is error_inline...

Quote:<div class="error">
<p><em>{$title}</em></p>
<ul>
{$errorlist}
</ul>
</div>
<br />

Can change text for all new threads at datahandler_post.lang.php...

$l['postdata_missing_subject'] = 'The test is missing. Please enter a subject.';
$l['postdata_missing_message'] = 'The message is missing. Please enter a message.';

...but not able to find {$errorlist} place to modify for get new language if save as templateprefix_error_inline ?

Think found {$errorlist} code at functions.php...

Quote:/**
* Produce an error message for displaying inline on a page
* @param array Array of errors to be shown
* @param string The title of the error message
* @return string The inline error HTML
*/
function inline_error($errors, $title="")
{
global $theme, $mybb, $db, $lang, $templates;

if(!$title)
{
$title = $lang->please_correct_errors;
}

if(!is_array($errors))
{
$errors = array($errors);
}

// AJAX error message?
if($mybb->input['ajax'])
{
$error = implode("\n\n", $errors);
// Send our headers.
@header("Content-type: text/html; charset={$lang->settings['charset']}");
echo "<error>{$error}</error>\n";
exit;
}

foreach($errors as $error)
{
$errorlist .= "<li>".$error."</li>\n";
}

eval("\$errors = \"".$templates->get("error_inline")."\";");

return $errors;
}

...but not sure what/if anything to do with it.

Confused, as usual.
Place to look ?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012 11:32 AM by akm.)
01-16-2012 11:31 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
You can use Language File Prefix for that.

01-17-2012 01:21 AM
akm Offline
(01-17-2012 01:21 AM)RateU Wrote:  You can use Language File Prefix for that.

Thank you for the info !
Am not familiar with that process, where should look for more info about ?

01-17-2012 05:50 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(01-17-2012 05:50 AM)akm Wrote:  where should look for more info about ?

The description of the setting.
Some XThreads Example Applications use that feature:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=732
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=882
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=378

01-17-2012 06:13 AM
akm Offline
(01-17-2012 06:13 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(01-17-2012 05:50 AM)akm Wrote:  where should look for more info about ?
The description of the setting.
Some XThreads Example Applications use that feature:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=732
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=882
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=378

Thanks for the info.
After quick look at links, think figured out...
ACP/Config/CustomThreadFields/EditThreadField/EditableBy/RequiredField? > Everyone(required) ?

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2012 06:10 PM by akm.)
01-18-2012 06:09 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
???
As it implies, if you set the editable field to that, the field is required (can't be empty).

My Blog
01-18-2012 09:35 PM
akm Offline
(01-18-2012 09:35 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ???  As it implies, if you set the editable field to that, the field is required (can't be empty).

Not always obvious to us old guy beginners, when we read through all the options, but getting better.  Smile

Another related question...

All now seems to be displaying like need (thank to this forum help) for both custom threadfield display and edit display, but when edit and use 'tab' button to navigate the thread fields, the cursor jumps all over the place... skipping textfields, coming back to others after skip, etc.

Probably did something with template editing to cause the skipping.

Where should look for info on how to work with controlling that editing process ('tab' button cursor navigation) ?

01-19-2012 02:28 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools