holy spam batman!
Shemo Offline
holy spam batman!
this is simply a test forum for me to try new plugins or mods and you can just see how bad mybb forums are starting to get hit.  in fact, the only thing I've tried on this test forum is the xthreads photo gallery.  look at all the spam!

http://andrewshemo.com/testforum/index.php

time to shut down registration on that forum.

edit: I ended up banning all users, disabling registration and deleting the forum that contained all the spam.  there was somewhere in the ballpark of 1,100 spam posts on the forum.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2011 10:30 AM by Shemo.)
08-27-2011 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: holy spam batman!
Generally I disable registrations on public facing "test forums" for that reason actually.

My Blog
08-27-2011 11:19 AM
Shemo Offline
(08-27-2011 11:19 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Generally I disable registrations on public facing "test forums" for that reason actually.

yeah, seems to be the best way to go about things.
08-27-2011 11:45 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
I had the same problem before. It's a bit annoying deleting a bunch of spam posts every day. The Spamalyser plugin solved my issue.

08-28-2011 06:15 AM
Shemo Offline
(08-28-2011 06:15 AM)RateU Wrote:  I had the same problem before. It's a bit annoying deleting a bunch of spam posts every day. The Spamalyser plugin solved my issue.

spamalyser is probably the best anti-spam plugin I've used to date.
08-31-2011 11:16 AM
RocketFoot Offline
I gotta check out the spamalyser.  Not really getting hammered yet but I'm sure I will!

[Image: gallery_2_628_39582.jpg]
09-01-2011 03:00 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
Every day, I had about 200 spam posts before. I set the Spamalyser to block it (that forum doesn't have many moderator).

09-01-2011 03:37 AM
WhiteEagle Offline
I just use the Stopforumspam plugin, and so far no problems. But then again, I don't get much traffic. I might add the recaptcha III plugin in the future as well.

I fold for team 52482. Do you fold?
MyBB powered sites: Leet Link FoodRatings
09-04-2011 09:54 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
SFS blocks legit users too.  The problem with the IP matching it uses is that some spammers are going through dynamic IPs, which can be assigned to legit users as well.
Also, SFS have been known to ban entire email domains.

reCaptcha is good, but from my trial run of my own CAPTCHA solution, it doesn't appear to really block much.  Either bots are able to bypass it (not that likely) or they automatically detect and send it to crowdsourcing (much more likely); in either case, it isn't terribly effective at stopping spam registrations.
I use a lesser known CAPTCHA service here, which seems to stop all the automated attempts.

My Blog
09-04-2011 11:41 AM
Shemo Offline
(09-04-2011 11:41 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  SFS blocks legit users too.  The problem with the IP matching it uses is that some spammers are going through dynamic IPs, which can be assigned to legit users as well.
Also, SFS have been known to ban entire email domains.

reCaptcha is good, but from my trial run of my own CAPTCHA solution, it doesn't appear to really block much.  Either bots are able to bypass it (not that likely) or they automatically detect and send it to crowdsourcing (much more likely); in either case, it isn't terribly effective at stopping spam registrations.
I use a lesser known CAPTCHA service here, which seems to stop all the automated attempts.

care to share your lesser known captcha service?
09-04-2011 04:46 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools