zinga, mybb 1.6.5 will affect some of your plugins
Shemo Offline
zinga, mybb 1.6.5 will affect some of your plugins
just thought I'd let you know that the new update will affect a few of your plugins.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-106729.html

according to the php script pavemen provided, it'll affect xthreads and spamalyser, at the least (these are 2 of your plugins I have installed on my forum).
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 03:38 PM by Shemo.)
11-19-2011 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: zinga, mybb 1.6.5 will affect some of your plugins
So I assume you've tried it?  How are they affected?

My Blog
11-19-2011 07:48 PM
RocketFoot Offline
If this is true...I am done updating my forum.  I have too many necessary plugins to achieve the look and function that I want in my site.

[Image: gallery_2_628_39582.jpg]
11-19-2011 09:08 PM
MattR Offline
The changes are incredibly minor and only affect a select list of hooks. Some functions will require a & to be placed before the variable that's passed to the function, and some require you to add return $var; to the end of the function, where $var is the value that's passed to the function (in fact it's actually possible to use the & method for all the changes). That's it. And you'll probably find a lot of plugins do this already. Everybody's making a lot of fuss about a very small change and it's required because call time pass by reference was deprecated in PHP 5.3, and as more hosts are upgrading to it, the change needs to be made, because otherwise you'll get errors on your forum and people will still complain. You can even make the changes before you update to 1.6.5 and it won't break your plugins on 1.6.4. You can't just stop updating a forum because you've got to spend a little bit of time making some minor code alterations to keep up with PHP 'requirements'. I have 15 plugins and it took me under an hour to compile a list of the lines that need changing and then to make the changes. It's not like you're going to have to rewrite all your plugins.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 10:37 PM by MattR.)
11-19-2011 09:42 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  The changes are incredibly minor and only affect a select list of hooks. Some functions will require a & to be placed before the variable that's passed to the function, and some require you to add return $var; to the end of the function, where $var is the value that's passed to the function (in fact it's actually possible to use the & method for all the changes).
I generally declare functions with an argument reference when I need it, as it makes sense to have it there IMO.
Do you have to return something in most cases?  I would presume if nothing is returned (ie null), the system should just ignore it...  I'll check when I can be bothered.
If the ref was converted into a required return, then that would be a problem.

Also would need to check whether the changes will still allow backwards compatibility as I still support MyBB 1.4.  There's probably a workaround regardless.

(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  call time pass by reference was deprecated in PHP 5.3, and as more hosts are upgrading to it, the change needs to be made, because otherwise you'll get errors on your forum and people will still complain.
Not really, I believe it only errors if you enable deprecated warnings, but MyBB disables it.  Calling with a reference works fine in 5.3, whether it will or not in 5.4 is another thing though.

(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  I have 15 plugins and it took me under an hour to compile a list of the lines that need changing and then to make the changes. It's not like you're going to have to rewrite all your plugins.
Yeah it's probably easy if you know what you're looking for.  For those that aren't being maintained, it could be more difficult.
Then again, every new MyBB version has the potential to break plugins (though this one's a bit more fundamental) so meh.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2011 11:17 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
11-19-2011 11:16 PM
Shemo Offline
(11-19-2011 07:48 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  So I assume you've tried it?  How are they affected?

I have not, no.  just going off what others were saying on the forum.  definitely don't want to see your plugins get messed up as I use xthreads quite extensively on my forums.

ps, xthreads is probably one of the greatest plugins ever made for mybb, imho...Biggrin
11-20-2011 07:42 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I see, thanks for pointing it out then.
I probably won't do anything until someone reports something is broken.

My Blog
11-20-2011 11:31 AM
Sama34 Offline
(11-20-2011 11:31 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I see, thanks for pointing it out then.

Actually I don;t think many 'smart' admins upgrade their forums until plugin authors update their plugins... hahahaha

Support PM's will be ignored. Yipi
Plugins: Announcement Bars - Custom Reputation - Mark PM As Unread
11-20-2011 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MattR Offline
(11-19-2011 11:16 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  The changes are incredibly minor and only affect a select list of hooks. Some functions will require a & to be placed before the variable that's passed to the function, and some require you to add return $var; to the end of the function, where $var is the value that's passed to the function (in fact it's actually possible to use the & method for all the changes).
I generally declare functions with an argument reference when I need it, as it makes sense to have it there IMO.
Do you have to return something in most cases?  I would presume if nothing is returned (ie null), the system should just ignore it...  I'll check when I can be bothered.
If the ref was converted into a required return, then that would be a problem.

Also would need to check whether the changes will still allow backwards compatibility as I still support MyBB 1.4.  There's probably a workaround regardless.

I don't think so; there's a list that need to receive by ref and a list that need to return (things like the admin_config_permissions hook that returns the permissions array) but apparently all of the affected hooks can just receive by reference. And yeah, the same changes will work fine on 1.4; it's just that currently it passes by reference but has to receive by reference, it's still ends up being a reference either way, so 1.4 and older versions of 1.6 can use the same code as 1.6.5 plugins.

(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  call time pass by reference was deprecated in PHP 5.3, and as more hosts are upgrading to it, the change needs to be made, because otherwise you'll get errors on your forum and people will still complain.
Not really, I believe it only errors if you enable deprecated warnings, but MyBB disables it.  Calling with a reference works fine in 5.3, whether it will or not in 5.4 is another thing though.

Some people have had errors on 1.6 with PHP 5.3, but yeah, if it's deprecated in 5.3 I think it's removed in 5.4, which is in beta, so it won't be too long before it's released and hosts upgrade to it. Then there definitely will be errors or things will just silently break.

(11-19-2011 09:42 PM)MattR Wrote:  I have 15 plugins and it took me under an hour to compile a list of the lines that need changing and then to make the changes. It's not like you're going to have to rewrite all your plugins.
Yeah it's probably easy if you know what you're looking for.  For those that aren't being maintained, it could be more difficult.
Then again, every new MyBB version has the potential to break plugins (though this one's a bit more fundamental) so meh.
[/quote]

If people are unsure on what to do they can post in the plugins forum on mybb.com; assuming active plugins get upgraded, you've just got to look into unmaintained ones, and they may already have the required change in them.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 01:05 AM by MattR.)
11-21-2011 01:04 AM
Shemo Offline
(11-20-2011 11:31 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I see, thanks for pointing it out then.

no problem.
11-21-2011 04:37 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools