Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
 Is this possible? Displaying threads on index with x criteria
RateU Offline
Administrator
RE: Is this possible? Displaying threads on index with x criteria
(05-11-2012 05:32 AM)leefish Wrote:  Another question - we are using the threadfields cache - so does that mean that if there is no change to the query then there will no hits on the db on page reload?
The cache we used is the threadfields settings, not the thread, threadfields and attachments data.

05-12-2012 01:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
leefish Offline
Hamster
Ok, so it DOES hit the db. Hmm. I will test it a bit more - right now I am really struggling with server load, so I am trying to avoid having too many queries - even fast ones. Most of my data is fairly static (simple galleries and what not) so I really am trying to investigate how to get my query and than cache my result and then display from that until the data set changes - eg, adding a new thread in a forum that I have queried for the gallery would cause a new cache to be built, otherwise, call from cache.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
05-12-2012 02:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RateU Offline
Administrator
Yep. You can try to do that.

And maybe you need to update the cache for each (or several) action related to the thread, like edit, delete (post, thread, attachments), inline moderation (approve/unapprove/move post and thread), delete user, pruning users post, and etc. And/or maybe you can use or combine it with the task system.
Depends on how accurate you want the data to be displayed.

But I don't know about the cache size (depends on whatever data needed to be processed and whatever data needed to be displayed). If it is big enough, maybe you need to export it into a file.

Personally (only my personal opinion), in this case, I prefer to this in this way. I can't predict what my users do with their threads/posts/attachments.

05-12-2012 02:49 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
yea, I agree, it is always a decision. But maybe an autoupdate, based on time or something? My uploaders are fairly well behaved, and all I want is just a gallery. I did manage to get caching working with memcache, but my host keeps turning it off and forgetting to tell me. So I have been trying to get it to work on the mybb system. So far, no luck.

I think that for this application (in the way Brad wants to use it) then caching will be a bad thing. In general however, I think what can be realistically cached to prevent hits on the server is the way to go, especially on a high traffic page like index or portal.

MYBB1.6 & XThreads
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 03:43 AM by leefish.)
05-12-2012 02:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I think trying to do that is going too far.
Unless you're getting a fair amount of traffic, it's probably a host issue.

My Blog
05-12-2012 09:39 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
Yes, it is a host issue Biggrin

My host (a good personal friend) tells me I should cache for performance, even though my board is tiny. He sees my server loads and says I should cache more.

I begin to think that it is bots hammering away at my doors, trying to make it through registration etc.

MYBB1.6 & XThreads
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 10:41 AM by leefish.)
05-12-2012 10:38 AM
brad-t Offline
Why not just move hosts?
05-12-2012 12:58 PM
leefish Offline
Hamster
He lets me use a quad core VPS with lots of ram for free? Would have to be mad.

MYBB1.6 & XThreads
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 05:55 PM by leefish.)
05-12-2012 05:54 PM
brad-t Offline
How to do this so it sorts by thread creation date?

Also, will it be easy to have two instances of this plugin running? I want to do this for a second forum with a different styling on the index.
06-13-2012 08:22 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(06-13-2012 08:22 AM)brad-t Wrote:  How to do this so it sorts by thread creation date?
Like latest threads with XThreads images?

(06-13-2012 08:22 AM)brad-t Wrote:  Also, will it be easy to have two instances of this plugin running? I want to do this for a second forum with a different styling on the index.
If you want to use the same layout (template), maybe you only need to change the functions and the variables name.

06-15-2012 06:47 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools