vB Quote
I believe that tagging syntax on forums should generally be as simple as possible, as most people aren't really coders.
MyBB generally conforms well to this (tags are generally quite simple), except the new quote tag introduced in MyBB 1.4.

Personally, something like this is a bit too much code IMO:

Code:
[quote='Joe' pid='13892' dateline='1239871234987' some_other_crap='98j2983j4ad']

...and the user probably doesn't really know the reasoning behind everything.
This plugin turns something like the above to something similar to vB quoting, like:

Code:
[quote=Joe;13892]

which, IMO, is much simpler and nicer.

This plugin also has a few other features:

• [ and ] characters in usernames don't break up the quote
  • username will automatically be updated if a user's username gets changed
  • user profile link in quote

The package includes a MyBB 1.4 and a MyBB 1.6/1.8 version.  Ensure you upload the correct .php file to your inc/plugins/ folder.
Note that the MyBB 1.4 version doesn't handle [ and ] characters completely right, whereas the 1.6 version does.

Update on 19th May, 2010: Also note: it may be possible for users to gain some information about posts in hidden forums/threads/posts by playing around with the pid in the quote.  I haven't implemented any protection against this in this plugin, but I don't really think this is really that big of an issue as they can only really get the timestamp and user who made the post but not the content.

Update on 4th Jan, 2011: This plugin won't modify existing quotes in any way, eg, it won't change the syntax or style of quotes made before this plugin was activated.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 09:44 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Download: vbquote-1.16.7z (3.81 KB)
Plugin Version: 1.16
Last Updated: 03-10-2016, 09:44 PM

Downloads: 1,084
MyBB Compatibility: 1.4.x, 1.6.x, 1.8.x
Plugin License: GPLv3
Uploader: ZiNgA BuRgA
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: vB Quote
That looks fine.
Most likely, it's a CSS issue, possibly with one of your themes.  Please test using the default theme.
Also, please make a completely clean forum with no installed plugins or themes and work from there to identify the issue.
Thanks.

My Blog
06-08-2010 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
with default also im getting the same thing where it put quote on left side and persons name highlighted colour on left side, by switching back over to default ?
06-08-2010 08:16 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
That's because your CSS needs to be modified.  If the green arrow shows in the default theme, that means there's an issue with your custom theme.

You can try deactivating this plugin - it shouldn't be affecting the arrow.

My Blog
06-08-2010 08:23 PM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
ok I will try that like suggested
ok once I disable it, its shows this now when quoting?

(Today 06:30 AM)Admin Wrote:
hmm now im getting a sql error?

Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 08:34 PM by Technoman.)
06-08-2010 08:26 PM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
ok im going to ask the guy who made the template if  he could figure out what is the fuction for the arrow to work correctly, cause at this point im so lost ... i still think this plug in has something small to do with it cause when i disable it in the ACP plugins then the name goes back to the right instead of staying on the left ... but we will see what he has to say

Like you said before some plug-ins and some themes just don't go hand in hand with MyBB and this is where a bit of knowledge would help figure out the problem if I had that back end smartness...

I do appreciate all your time in helping me ... I really do !!!
06-08-2010 09:04 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-08-2010 08:26 PM)Technoman Wrote:  ok once I disable it, its shows this now when quoting?

(Today 06:30 AM)Admin Wrote:
Again, depends on how you've modified your CSS.  And as the quoting bbcode in MyBB is different to that in the plugin, you may also get pids in the name.

(06-08-2010 08:26 PM)Technoman Wrote:  hmm now im getting a sql error?

Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server
That would be your MySQL being set up badly, most likely.

(06-08-2010 09:04 PM)Technoman Wrote:  i still think this plug in has something small to do with it cause when i disable it in the ACP plugins then the name goes back to the right instead of staying on the left ...
*sigh* I've already explained this.  If you're using the modified version, then this will occur unless you modify the theme.  I think I've made this pretty clear.  If you use the version in the first post of this thread, you won't have this issue.
Please stop making accusations based on the limited amount of knowledge you have.

(06-08-2010 09:04 PM)Technoman Wrote:  and this is where a bit of knowledge would help figure out the problem if I had that back end smartness...
Yes, please do take the (small amount of) effort to learn HTML and CSS.  Trust me, it will be well worth your time.

My Blog
06-08-2010 09:15 PM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
I really do apologize Zinga, Yes we all make mistakes..  My eyeballs are falling out of my head right now with the lack of sleep but I just wanted to let you know on my own I went into my database and took a backup from may 29th 2010 way before adding new plugins and it does seem that my current problem was there back then so it means here I was thinking its this or its that but in the END it has nothing to do with VB Quotes!!!

Thanks for your patience with me Smile
06-08-2010 09:43 PM
Vapor Offline
Very nice !

D3G Gaming Team - http://d3g.in

[Image: vapor_sig.png]
01-03-2011 04:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RocketFoot Offline
I've added this plugin but nothing changed!  LOL...did I miss something?

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-2010-...http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-2010-7173mustangs-com-white-elephant-whatdidyaget-thread?pid=59

New quoted post does show something like this:
rocketfoot;7166 Wrote:

[Image: gallery_2_628_39582.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 04:46 AM by RocketFoot.)
01-04-2011 04:25 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
The plugin won't modify existing quotes in any way.

My Blog
01-04-2011 05:13 PM