vB Quote
I believe that tagging syntax on forums should generally be as simple as possible, as most people aren't really coders.
MyBB generally conforms well to this (tags are generally quite simple), except the new quote tag introduced in MyBB 1.4.

Personally, something like this is a bit too much code IMO:

Code:
[quote='Joe' pid='13892' dateline='1239871234987' some_other_crap='98j2983j4ad']

...and the user probably doesn't really know the reasoning behind everything.
This plugin turns something like the above to something similar to vB quoting, like:

Code:
[quote=Joe;13892]

which, IMO, is much simpler and nicer.

This plugin also has a few other features:

• [ and ] characters in usernames don't break up the quote
  • username will automatically be updated if a user's username gets changed
  • user profile link in quote

The package includes a MyBB 1.4 and a MyBB 1.6/1.8 version.  Ensure you upload the correct .php file to your inc/plugins/ folder.
Note that the MyBB 1.4 version doesn't handle [ and ] characters completely right, whereas the 1.6 version does.

Update on 19th May, 2010: Also note: it may be possible for users to gain some information about posts in hidden forums/threads/posts by playing around with the pid in the quote.  I haven't implemented any protection against this in this plugin, but I don't really think this is really that big of an issue as they can only really get the timestamp and user who made the post but not the content.

Update on 4th Jan, 2011: This plugin won't modify existing quotes in any way, eg, it won't change the syntax or style of quotes made before this plugin was activated.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 09:44 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Download: vbquote-1.16.7z (3.81 KB)
Plugin Version: 1.16
Last Updated: 03-10-2016, 09:44 PM

Downloads: 1,084
MyBB Compatibility: 1.4.x, 1.6.x, 1.8.x
Plugin License: GPLv3
Uploader: ZiNgA BuRgA
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: vB Quote
Added a simple tweak for v1.13 to get around the Page Optimizer plugin.  Personally think the edit should be done Page Optimizer plugin, but I'll stick in this basic workaround.

Looking at the plugin though, I'm surprised it's not conflicting with the Preparser Cache, which relies on a similar tactic that vB Quote uses.

My Blog
06-09-2011 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sama34 Offline
If I update vB Quote do I have to revert the changes on Page Optimizer? Tanks for the update Smile

Support PM's will be ignored. Yipi
Plugins: Announcement Bars - Custom Reputation - Mark PM As Unread
06-10-2011 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sama34 Offline
Can you please tell me if this modification is right Zinga Burga? It is to show the user format name, the plugin you provided to RateU is from a old version :-/

I changed:

PHP Code:
$query = $db->simple_select('posts', '*', 'pid IN ('.implode(',',array_keys($vbquote_quotedpids)).')');

To:

PHP Code:
$query = $db->query('SELECT p.pid,u.uid,p.dateline,u.username,u.usergroup,u.displaygroup,u.buformat,u.auformat FROM '.TABLE_PREFIX.'posts p LEFT JOIN '.TABLE_PREFIX.'users u ON p.uid=u.uid WHERE p.pid IN ('.implode(',',array_keys($vbquote_quotedpids)).')');

And:

PHP Code:
.build_profile_link(htmlspecialchars_uni($post['username']), $post['uid']).' '.$lang->wrote.$linkback;

To:

PHP Code:
.build_profile_link(format_name($post['username'], $post['usergroup'], $post['displaygroup'], $post['buformat'], $post['auformat']), $post['uid']).' '.$lang->wrote.$linkback;

Thanks Biggrin

12-14-2011 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
From a quick scan, if it works, then it should be fine.
Although I don't know what "auformat" or "buformat" are.

My Blog
12-14-2011 04:59 PM
Sama34 Offline
It works, "auformat" and "buformat" are for a plugin to work, sorry for not mentioning it.
Thank you.

12-14-2011 05:33 PM
lucasbytegenius Offline
Is there a way to revert the posts modified by this plugin back to the standard MyBB system?
05-25-2012 05:36 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Yeah, if you don't mind writing all the parsing routines.

My Blog
05-25-2012 07:55 AM
lucasbytegenius Offline
(05-25-2012 07:55 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Yeah, if you don't mind writing all the parsing routines.

I see. How would I go about doing that?
05-25-2012 08:55 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Figuring out how is part of the fun of doing it.

My Blog
05-25-2012 12:45 PM
Paradox Offline
Sorry to bump this topic but I seem to be having problems with this plugin on my board.

The syntax works perfectly but it seems without the single quotes around the username, it comes out as
[url=http://linkto profi.le Wrote:name[/url];123]Quoted stuff
after posting. Editing and adding the single quotes around the username fixes it, apparently. It seems it's not accepting it without the quotes.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 12:57 PM by Paradox.)
10-22-2012 12:54 PM