This would make a nice plugin..
Harry Offline
This would make a nice plugin..
Ran across this over at the MYBB forums.. Pretty cool how this guy did this. Could see it being very useful on large boards..

http://mynie.6te.net/demo/index.php

Reminds me of this modification another board did. Was called virtual subforums. That mod made it able to view the forum and JUST the threads you want to see. When someone made a new thread it asked for what region you wanted it listed under. Say you put it under Mid Atlantic. So to see that thread you go to the filter options and select Mid Atlantic or all and it showed. However if it was listed under say midwest then you wont see the thread viewing the forum with the Mid Atlantic filter on. if you have all selected then you see both threads etc.  I believe this modification ( link above )  would have worked better. Instead the site switched to sub forums which a number of people are complaining about. lol

Anyways that is pretty cool how he did that.
06-05-2010 03:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
leefish Offline
Hamster
RE: This would make a nice plugin..
That's from Rateu isnt it? And yes it is cool.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
06-05-2010 04:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry Offline
(06-05-2010 04:36 AM)leefish Wrote:  That's from Rateu isnt it? And yes it is cool.

Not sure of who's it is. Pretty cool. The dude that owned the other site i mentioned did his. IPB board though. Don't think there is anything like it for mybb?
06-05-2010 04:41 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
Rateu  is a member here. He did all the cool guides in the X-Threads forum.

Re such a mod for MyBB, I dont think so, but it sounds like you could do it with a redirect on posting plug in.

Its just a forum category I think, styled differently is all.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
06-05-2010 05:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-05-2010 03:53 AM)Harry Wrote:  Reminds me of this modification another board did. Was called virtual subforums. That mod made it able to view the forum and JUST the threads you want to see. When someone made a new thread it asked for what region you wanted it listed under. Say you put it under Mid Atlantic. So to see that thread you go to the filter options and select Mid Atlantic or all and it showed. However if it was listed under say midwest then you wont see the thread viewing the forum with the Mid Atlantic filter on. if you have all selected then you see both threads etc.  I believe this modification ( link above )  would have worked better. Instead the site switched to sub forums which a number of people are complaining about. lol
Is this like the thread prefix filtering system here? http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2010 09:04 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-05-2010 09:04 AM
Harry Offline
(06-05-2010 09:04 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(06-05-2010 03:53 AM)Harry Wrote:  Reminds me of this modification another board did. Was called virtual subforums. That mod made it able to view the forum and JUST the threads you want to see. When someone made a new thread it asked for what region you wanted it listed under. Say you put it under Mid Atlantic. So to see that thread you go to the filter options and select Mid Atlantic or all and it showed. However if it was listed under say midwest then you wont see the thread viewing the forum with the Mid Atlantic filter on. if you have all selected then you see both threads etc.  I believe this modification ( link above )  would have worked better. Instead the site switched to sub forums which a number of people are complaining about. lol
Is this like the thread prefix filtering system here? http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25

It was different..

You should be able to view this page..
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showforum=15

Note where it has the regions.. Before when you clicked the region you wanted ( MW for example ) ) the thread list in that forum would only show threads that were marked  MW. When you made a post it as well asked you to select what you wanted it under and thus in this case MW. As said they got rid of it and so now when you click a region it takes you to the new subforum for the region.

Then ofcourse they have that other mod they did up right below those regions. Can select what member group you do or dont wanna see posts from.
BTW.. I have yet to see anything like X Threads on any system. I use IPB for another forum and know there is nothing like that there anyways. That truly is a one of a kind plugin unless i missed something somewhere.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2010 09:14 AM by Harry.)
06-05-2010 09:12 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-05-2010 09:12 AM)Harry Wrote:  You should be able to view this page..

Note where it has the regions.. Before when you clicked the region you wanted ( MW for example ) ) the thread list in that forum would only show threads that were marked  MW. When you made a post it as well asked you to select what you wanted it under and thus in this case MW. As said they got rid of it and so now when you click a region it takes you to the new subforum for the region.
So how is it really functionally different from going to a sub-forum?
Displays stuff via AJAX?

(06-05-2010 09:12 AM)Harry Wrote:  BTW.. I have yet to see anything like X Threads on any system. I use IPB for another forum and know there is nothing like that there anyways. That truly is a one of a kind plugin unless i missed something somewhere.
XThreads does tie in quite heavily with how MyBB does things.  You could probably get most stuff across to any other forum system, though templates would depend a lot on how the system handles that.  It may not even be feasible with other forum systems.
There's possible other reasons too - it being a rather abstract idea, rather tricky to do, as it needs to modify some core functionality of the system (eg modifying how templates are loaded and cached), and doesn't really actually do anything by itself (difficult to promote to "clueless" (the majority) forum admins).

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2010 10:30 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-05-2010 06:51 PM
Toxic Offline
(06-05-2010 06:51 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  [quote='Harry' pid='1845' dateline='1275693122']
You should be able to view this page..

So how is it really functionally different from going to a sub-forum?
Displays stuff via AJAX?

I think he means all it does it is has various tags and a filter function, such as a torrent site would be to locate images, anime, manga, films, music etc etc but with multiple tags so it would show up in various selections.

I'm assuming that would be AJAX.
08-01-2011 12:27 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Well I understand the concept of thread tagging, which I somewhat pointed out above..

My Blog
08-01-2011 08:59 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools