[split] The SUPER EPIC!! debate about paid MyBB modifications!
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: [split] The SUPER EPIC!! debate about paid MyBB modifications!
Standard functionality?  I don't use any, so I don't see how is should be standard functionality...

My Blog
06-09-2010 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
Look I don't have a problem with Developers writing plug-ins or modifications on their own time, Heck I am a proud Paid Subscriber of 3!

Developers have plenty of time to embellish plug-ins & modifications!  Just about every Developer has some alternate identity under which they sell or give away free plug-ins & modifications.

I think it would be a step in the right direction if MyBB.com would add the major plug-ins & modifications that add to the default functionality as standard features into the MyBB.com platform which members of the MyBB.com community have Requested for so long......

I'm just saying that it makes the whole MyBB.com Team look bad when there are so many basic features missing in the core product that need to be dealt with that you will probably find on a Developers Site!

With that being said, I think it is even a better idea for MyBB.com to offer some type of incentives towards its Developer Sites for creative ideas that can be added to the core product.

After all, who understands MyBB.com better than the Developer Sites...

There should be however some very strong restrictions at MyBB.com!
The Primary restriction being:

1. No Advertising of any sort of Paid Plug-in Sites that lead to Developer Paid Sites on MyBB.com unless the Advertising is in the users Signature or Website Url inside there own profile.

2. No "Selling" - "Profits" - "Donations" of any kind towards plug-ins or modifications that correct a flaw or default functionality or poor design or patch or security issue that is related someway to the core functions of MyBB.com
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 01:13 PM by Technoman.)
06-09-2010 10:33 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
But again, what do you really think is "standard" and should be included in the core?

Personally, I think MyBB has too many features included by default, which really should be left to plugins.  How many sites make use of the Calendar, for example?  I guess I can take a compromise if you can disable it (you can, though it does leave a dead link), but then, if many sites don't use it, why include it by default?

My Blog
06-09-2010 08:29 PM
MattF Offline
(06-09-2010 08:29 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  But again, what do you really think is "standard" and should be included in the core?

The ultimate question, with a different answer from practically every person. Biggrin My opinion is always that the core should be as minimal as possible. Necessary functionality with everything else being an optional addition. Even the debate of what is absolutely necessary isn't always plain sailing either.

Quote:Personally, I think MyBB has too many features included by default, which really should be left to plugins.  How many sites make use of the Calendar, for example?  I guess I can take a compromise if you can disable it (you can, though it does leave a dead link), but then, if many sites don't use it, why include it by default?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds that point notable. I can see no point whatsoever leaving a link available to a disabled facility. Disabled should mean that the links disappear, IMHO.
06-10-2010 01:51 AM
Harry Offline
(06-09-2010 08:29 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  But again, what do you really think is "standard" and should be included in the core?

Personally, I think MyBB has too many features included by default, which really should be left to plugins.  How many sites make use of the Calendar, for example?  I guess I can take a compromise if you can disable it (you can, though it does leave a dead link), but then, if many sites don't use it, why include it by default?

I will agree about the Calendar. BTW ( shows how much i use it ) just noticed that it has a bug in it i think? My birthday was the 7th which displayed fine on the index but on the calendar itself it shows the 6th instead?

Seriously i would rather just have a monthly calendar on the portal homepage and that is it.
06-11-2010 05:11 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Quote:In the future, we plan to be providing a system where we support both commercial and non-commercial resources. Initial work would be submitted under an OSI-approved license – and, by using a promotion system involving user and quality ratings, can be upgraded to a commercial (or custom) license. This system would mean authors are encouraged to produce good plugins, provide upgrades and keep them up to date before gaining “Trusted Developer” status and the ability to provide commercial modifications through MyBB.com.
Interesting, so now they want the power to exert more favouritism.
Seriously, just leave these things up to the user to decide.

My Blog
06-11-2010 10:42 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools