Mybb community, very immature.
Harry Offline
RE: Mybb community, very immature.
(06-08-2010 10:24 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(06-08-2010 09:55 AM)Harry Wrote:  Seriously? I think MYBB needs to be forked. And if i can find the team i am gonna do it.
I don't mean to be offensive, but I think it might be difficult for you to try doing that.  At best, you could suggest it around, but I think it will be difficult for you to get people to join up if you're leading the project.  The primary reason being the image you put out.
Again, don't mean to be offensive, but I thought it might for you own good if I pointed out what I thought.  Nevertheless, good luck with that.

(06-08-2010 09:55 AM)Harry Wrote:  Keep in mind that the subject of favouritism there is a sore one that has been discussed at length everywhere and thus well known. So yeah this would go into the classification of going overboard with it. MYBB needs to lose that image and instead has gone the other way doing what they have on the community forums and now the license. Do you see this at say PHPBB? It should not happen period. Thing is MYBB is very obvious about it too.
Again, most of this occurs due to lack of competition.  I think people like labrocca are well aware of this and purposely try to stifle competition.
I believe I've mentioned that he probably isn't doing this for profit, but possibly marketing reasons, encouraging support for him, as well as allowing him to funnel funds back to the project in a way that he has a significant say on how it works.  This way, not only does he have strong influence on the project, he also has a strong influence on the community.  This is really useful when most of your business is based off that particular script.
Since most of the people at the MyBB community are idiots, they don't pick this up, and just blatantly think this is all for profit.  In these sorts of "free" communities, it's all about PR and ability to take advantage of others.

However competition can make all this much more difficult.  For one, this means a larger, (generally) more intelligent community.  It also would make paid plugin developers' lives more difficult.
For example, labrocca is always yapping on about how he prefers MyBB over vBulletin.  I personally doubt this is solely due to just the script, rather, that vB is MUCH more difficult to influence, compared to MyBB, which started off as a really small community not too long ago.

(06-08-2010 09:55 AM)Harry Wrote:  Sorry but i think they really just shot themselves in the foot with their actions over the past day and now the license. Sorry to say but i think this project is doomed. And i say that because i see nothing ever changing there. They have no credibility left and that means everything in the GPL/Opensource/free world. They are better off making the software completely commercial.
I really don't think so.  As far as the software is concerned, development is quite focused towards users in general.  Influences you speak of, only have limited effects on the project, and all in all, there's no underlying contractual agreement of such control.

I do agree about your points where labrocca is concerned. That is what this ALL gets back to about what i have been saying. It is a stain on MYBB. Yeah i know i have a habit of coming across poorly. Please forgive me for that.

It is all about public perception. Sure it may work ( The new license ) but MYBB will now always have this stain on them thanks mainly in part to labrocca. That is all i am saying. I am not arguing over free vs paid. It is about how MYBB will come out looking when this is said and done.
06-08-2010 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Mybb community, very immature. - walkman - 06-08-2010, 03:40 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-08-2010, 04:33 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-09-2010, 01:23 AM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - Harry - 06-08-2010 01:38 PM
RE: Mybb community, very immature. - MattF - 06-09-2010, 05:12 AM