MyBB development - worse than I thought
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
MyBB development - worse than I thought
EDIT
Okay, I've had my stupid rant, move along now.

On another note, if you're a noob PHP scripter, and want a developer position on the team, SIGN UP NOW!
Commitment?  That comes later - it's teh internetz, u leave weneva u want to!

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2010 09:22 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-09-2010 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Kimi Offline
RE: MyBB development - worse than I thought
Hi ZingaBurga,
I've started to using MyBB about three years ago, by testing and debugging the new release of MKPortal (where I was a developer), then I became moderator at Italian Official support forum (mybboard.it) where i started to help and give my contribute to the community by offering some hacks, mods and plugins, other than the italian translation, shortly I was promoted to supermod and then to admin(this 2 years ago, if I remeber correct). Now in all this time, I've improved my personal knowledge(PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL), the MyBB knowledge and my experience in the web-development(now are 3-4 years that i'm in "this world") . So I thought that I'm ready to give my REAL contribute.
About my posts, As I said I give 100% of my self to Italian community , and also I'm a person that doesnt like to be always on the "Spotlight".
I know that probably until now I have not given much to the MyBB community, but probably I will make you think again on me Wink

If you want to know more, just ask Wink

Kimi
06-09-2010 10:51 PM
Pirata Nervo Offline
/multifacepalm
06-09-2010 11:17 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Hi Kimi,
Firstly, welcome here.  I'm surprised and flattered that people actually visited this site and read my rant threads.  Looks like I'm getting more audience than I anticipated Tongue

Thanks for the history, and I encourage your continued support for MyBB.  As I said, I don't really know you, so I can't make any decent judgement.  However, I do suggest being a bit more familiar with regular expressions (if you aren't already) so a user doesn't post something like:

Code:
[megavideo]http://www.megavideo.com/?v=aaa" style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 1000%; height: 100000%;[/megavideo]

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 11:23 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-09-2010 11:23 PM
Kimi Offline
(06-09-2010 11:23 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I'm surprised and flattered that people actually visited this site and read my rant threads.  Looks like I'm getting more audience than I anticipated Tongue
I always had respect for you, as developer or user I always liked  your coding approach.
A bit disappointed to be "a noob PHP scripter", but it's fine.

(06-09-2010 11:23 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Thanks for the history, and I encourage your continued support for MyBB.  As I said, I don't really know you, so I can't make any decent judgement.  However, I do suggest being a bit more familiar with regular expressions (if you aren't already) so a user doesn't post something like:

Code:
[megavideo]http://www.megavideo.com/?v=aaa" style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 1000%; height: 100000%;[/megavideo]

As I see you are particularly attached to that MyCode, and you are right, it's not secure, I writed it one year ago, and I was not so familiar with regexp, but now I'm more familiar with that.
Now I fixed it.

Kimi
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2010 12:23 AM by Kimi.)
06-10-2010 12:23 AM
frostschutz Offline
I have a very good impression of Huji Lee, he understands things, and if he does make a mistake, he admits it and corrects it immediately. See issue #808 for an example to see how he handles bug reports. It goes downhill as soon as Ryan Gordon chips in...

Huji also frequently gets crap like this or this. Not sure how he handles it. I know I couldn't. I would be so frustrated I'd leave the team. This is also one of the reasons why I never applied for any team position (and rejected offers). It wouldn't work out since I just can't take that kind of crap.

Beginners are fine as long as they're genuinely interested to learn how things work. What makes a developer a good developer? It's not experience, not at all. It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2010 12:49 AM by frostschutz.)
06-10-2010 12:29 AM
MattF Offline
(06-10-2010 12:29 AM)frostschutz Wrote:  Beginners are fine as long as they're genuinely interested to learn how things work. What makes a developer a good developer? It's not experience, not at all. It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience.

Knowing how to code is usually rather a big part of being a Dev though, and that last person linked to in the first post appears not even to possess that ability. Willingness is fine, but it's bugger all use if you can't do diddly. Unless he's purely doing documentation or suchlike, that's an insane choice for a Dev.
06-10-2010 02:14 AM
walkman Offline
Ahahaha, I can not believe this. I just read that thread of RPicard Yumi linked above and I was speechless. C''mon, that guy a developer? Mybb must really get desperate to have a bullshit so called coder like him to join the developement team.  Mybb will be the laughing stock of all forum communities Biggrin I am so glad I didn''t get more involved with Mybb.
06-10-2010 02:42 AM
walkman Offline
Those fucking morons banned my account there only because I expressed my opinion about that joke for a developer.
06-10-2010 06:18 AM
MattF Offline
(06-10-2010 06:18 AM)walkman Wrote:  Those fucking morons banned my account there only because I expressed my opinion about that joke for a developer.

I take it you're the ex_* then? Biggrin Just out of curiosity, how old is Ryan? His responses seem a bit unprofessional, to say the least. Plus, reading that last response of his:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-71271-p...http://community.mybb.com/thread-71271-post-517094.html

why would anyone take on a Dev who needs teaching the ropes, practically from scratch? There seems to be no logic in that choice, unless he excels in some other area, which that post linked above seems to hint not. I may be missing something here, but why?
06-10-2010 07:39 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools