MyBB development - worse than I thought
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: MyBB development - worse than I thought
Huji Lee is definitely a really kind person from what I've seen.  He does quickly fix the problems I reported and genuinely seems motivated.

Kimi, please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying you're bad in any way, and I've admitted various concessions on my part.  I really do congratulate your position and hope you make great contributions to MyBB.
Okay, I admit, I was over excited when I made this thread.  Please forgive me.

Ryan Gordon Wrote:that wouldn't pass my standards (which is very high

PHP Code:
function secure_seed_rng($count=8)
{
	$output = '';

// Try the OpenSSL method first. This is the strongest.
	if(function_exists('openssl_random_pseudo_bytes'))
	{
		$output = openssl_random_pseudo_bytes($count, $strong);

if($strong !== true)
		{
			$output = '';
		}
	}

if($output == '')
	{
		// Then try the unix/linux method
		if(@is_readable('/dev/urandom') && ($handle = @fopen('/dev/urandom', 'rb')))
		{
			$output = @fread($handle, $count);
			@fclose($handle);
		}

// Then try the Microsoft method
		if(class_exists('COM'))
		{
			try {
				$util = new COM('CAPICOM.Utilities.1');
				$output = base64_decode($util->GetRandom($count, 0));
			}
			catch(Exception $ex) { }
		}
	}

// Didn't work? Do we still not have enough bytes? Use our own (less secure) rng generator
	if(strlen($output) < $count)
	{
		$output = '';

// Close to what PHP basically uses internally to seed, but not quite.
		$unique_state = microtime().getmypid();

for($i = 0; $i < $count; $i += 16)
		{
			$unique_state = md5(microtime().$unique_state);
			$output .= pack('H*', md5($unique_state));
		}
	}

// /dev/urandom and openssl will always be twice as long as $count. base64_encode will roughly take up 33% more space but crc32 will put it to 32 characters
	$output = hexdec(substr(dechex(crc32(base64_encode($output))), 0, $count));

return $output;
}

I lol'd.

(06-10-2010 06:18 AM)walkman Wrote:  Those fucking morons banned my account there only because I expressed my opinion about that joke for a developer.
No offense or anything, but you did kinda ask for it with that comment you made...
Still, lol that you made it Tongue  That idiot deserves it.

Anyway, they obviously need designers, since there's nothing really to design as far as I can tell (of course, I don't know any hidden agendas they may have).  I'd consider HTML/CSS basic knowledge that all web developers should know.  As for Javascript, it's a scripting language just like PHP, and they share a number of syntactical similarities.  From what he originally had, he doesn't even understand PHP syntax, so there's practically no hope of him getting Javascript.
And programming/scripting is MUCH more than just understanding syntax...

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2010 09:01 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-10-2010 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user
Lich_king2 Offline
I don't think that main developer R.G has more than 16 years. Eventually, those people will be the reason for the projects downfall.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
06-10-2010 11:31 PM
Firefox Wins Offline
(06-09-2010 10:11 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  EDIT
Okay...

(06-09-2010 10:51 PM)Kimi Wrote:  ...If you want to know more, just ask Wink

(06-09-2010 11:17 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  /multifacepalm

(06-09-2010 11:23 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hi Kimi,
Firstly, welcome here....

Hi Kimi!

(06-10-2010 12:23 AM)Kimi Wrote:  ...I always had respect for you, as developer or user I always liked  your coding approach...

Yes

Looks like I was a bit late for an exciting thread.

This is great frostschutz
(06-10-2010 12:29 AM)frostschutz Wrote:  ...Beginners are fine as long as they're genuinely interested to learn how things work. What makes a developer a good developer? It's not experience, not at all. It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience.

It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience. ~frostschutz 2010

//
And with Ryan as their 'Mentor' this will have success, believe me. Ryan knows how to deal with people.  Tongue
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2010 01:38 AM by Firefox Wins.)
06-11-2010 01:20 AM
Harry Offline
(06-11-2010 01:20 AM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  
(06-09-2010 10:11 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  EDIT
Okay...

(06-09-2010 10:51 PM)Kimi Wrote:  ...If you want to know more, just ask Wink

(06-09-2010 11:17 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  /multifacepalm

(06-09-2010 11:23 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hi Kimi,
Firstly, welcome here....

Hi Kimi!

(06-10-2010 12:23 AM)Kimi Wrote:  ...I always had respect for you, as developer or user I always liked  your coding approach...

Yes

Looks like I was a bit late for an exciting thread.

This is great frostschutz
(06-10-2010 12:29 AM)frostschutz Wrote:  ...Beginners are fine as long as they're genuinely interested to learn how things work. What makes a developer a good developer? It's not experience, not at all. It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience.

It's the spark of interest, the open-mindedness, the drive that makes you constantly seek out new ways to make things better. If you have that, experience will follow on its own accord. If you ever lose that, you stop being a developer and start being an idiot, regardless of your experience. ~frostschutz 2010

//
And with Ryan as their 'Mentor' this will have success, believe me. Ryan knows how to deal with people.  Tongue

Sorry but Ryan G knows very little about dealing with people in the proper way. He is one of those better off coding/behind the scenes and not heard from. Not saying that to be a ass but Ryan has very little people skills. He is a kid on a power trip with a over inflated ego that has MUCH to learn about life in the real world. He is a perfect example of why Kids/teens and adults don't mix. He is the main reason a number of people have left MYBB be it past teams members etc.
06-11-2010 05:25 AM
walkman Offline
Ryan G''s people skills are zero. He is a pompus jerk and an arrogant asshole who thinks he is somebody but in reality he is a piece of shit.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2010 06:30 AM by walkman.)
06-11-2010 06:30 AM
Harry Offline
(06-11-2010 06:30 AM)walkman Wrote:  Ryan G''s people skills are zero. He is a pompus jerk and an arrogant asshole who thinks he is somebody but in reality he is a piece of shit.

And i thought i was harsh.. Biggrin

Do admit though he brings this on himself. I don't care if he does it for free either. Gut says someone will defend his actions because of that. No need to.  Just no need for the snotty attitude period.
06-11-2010 07:28 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I really don't think he's bad.  He's been dealing with the project for many years, and I'm sure you would develop certain attitudes over the period of time.  Personally, I can't handle it, so I just ignore things, but he does seem to have the ability to handle it.

I just find it a little ironic that they're trying so hard to promote a "professional image" and now they're getting people for the sake of training them.  Their policies were a lot more consistent in the past, now they've taken a turn for contradiction.

My Blog
06-11-2010 09:50 AM
Firefox Wins Offline
a "professional image." LOL
(06-11-2010 09:50 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I just find it a little ironic that they're trying so hard to promote a "professional image"...

On that exact topic, a "professional image."

<who could possibly disagree with this?>
While Free speech is great, sometimes people in certain positions should choose to maintain high standards, right?
</who could possibly disagree with this?>

Has anyone who reads this heard of adf.ly?
IMO, adf.ly is ridiculously intrusive and could even be called shady.
  • Is it right for a MyBB Developer to actively promote a "garbage ad, link-hijacking plugin" and make repeated misleading statements about adf.ly?
IMO, devs should have higher standards if they actually care about MyBB.
Am I way off or does anyone agree?
06-11-2010 11:43 AM
Harry Offline
(06-11-2010 09:50 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I really don't think he's bad.  He's been dealing with the project for many years, and I'm sure you would develop certain attitudes over the period of time.  Personally, I can't handle it, so I just ignore things, but he does seem to have the ability to handle it.

I just find it a little ironic that they're trying so hard to promote a "professional image" and now they're getting people for the sake of training them.  Their policies were a lot more consistent in the past, now they've taken a turn for contradiction.

How come this is not a issue elsewhere with other developers? Sure they may something BEHIND the scenes but that is it and the way it SHOULD be. Thus the difference where Ryan is concerned. He has no self control. If it is that bad then maybe he should find something else to do with his time. Yeah he does get some shit that is not needed but that does not excuse his behavior towards others the rest of the time.

And yeah this ( professional image ) actually does worry me a bit more then anything else. I can just about live with the license BS ( even though i am totally against it )  and such but this is a whole different thing. Talking about someone who will be involved with developing this script.

I really wish some of you all would get together and fork this. I mean that sincerely too.
06-11-2010 03:35 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-11-2010 03:35 PM)Harry Wrote:  How come this is not a issue elsewhere with other developers? Sure they may something BEHIND the scenes but that is it and the way it SHOULD be. Thus the difference where Ryan is concerned. He has no self control. If it is that bad then maybe he should find something else to do with his time. Yeah he does get some shit that is not needed but that does not excuse his behavior towards others the rest of the time.
They aren't as involved as he is.
I think he should be given some slack - not everyone is perfect, and people have their issues.  He doesn't seem to post that much these days, so he is mostly "behind the scenes", but do remember that this is a community role, not a strict company policy, and I'm sure many in his position would like to be able to express their views publicly and so on.

My Blog
06-11-2010 04:18 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools