Plugin/Modification Review Service
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Plugin/Modification Review Service
This is an idea I had which I think may benefit end users.

I'm willing to spend some time going over MyBB plugins or modifications to point out problems or potential issues / concerns, code wise.
If you have a modification yourself, released or not (should be fairly complete though), I am willing to be a second eye to look it over.
I also see a number of authors promoting modifications which may have unwanted side effects, but are unwilling to let users know, either because they don't know about it themselves, or they want to make their modification look better.  Unfortunately, many users aren't very fluent in web scripting (and those that are won't necessarily go through code), so they may be unaware of such issues.

At the moment, I'm willing to go over any plugin, released or not, however do note that this is not a coding help service, so I will not be going over incomplete code (maybe an incomplete plugin is okay in some special cases) and won't be telling how to implement something etc.  Do note that, however, for plugins which aren't listed on the official mods site, or ones that I can't download without having to register etc, you'll need to PM me a copy of the plugin (be aware that I am not responsible if this breaks the plugin's ToS - especially the case for paid modifications).  For obvious reasons, I will not be "reviewing" my own modifications, though I generally do try to make an effort to inform users if they have issues which I know about.

The idea is to hopefully help authors address issues, or, failing that, at least inform users of potential problems they should look out for.

Although it's a "review", as I alluded to, above, this will primarily focus on problems and criticisms.  Also, although I will try to justify everything, ultimately what I say will be subjective and from my point of view.  Most "reviews" may be quick, so there may be things I miss, including stuff which may be fine but I criticise; this will probably be especially true for larger or more complex modifications.

I don't know how this will end up, but I'm willing to give it a try to see how well it goes.

You may post here or PM me if there's a plugin you want reviewed.  Note that reviews will be posted publicly.

My Blog
06-12-2010 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
RE: Plugin/Modification Review Service
I am giving you permission to delete this post, can you make this a sticky thread cause this thread can always be very usefull Wink
06-13-2010 09:47 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-13-2010 09:47 PM)Technoman Wrote:  this thread can always be very usefull
Thanks, but will have to see first.

My Blog
06-13-2010 11:21 PM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
I have a question about "Default Usergroup On Register Or Let User Choose" ?

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-2958.html

I installed this plugin and its installed with no issues but the question is how do I force users to choose one or the other cause presently there is no way to force them unless I have overlooked it somehow?
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 10:22 AM by Technoman.)
06-14-2010 10:21 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Please ask the plugin author if you want support (even though you already did).
This has nothing to do with reviews.

Thanks.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 10:53 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-14-2010 10:52 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
Could you please review NewPoints 1.4? If you don't mind, of course.
06-16-2010 08:03 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Sure, but as there's a lot of code, I'm probably only going to be looking at small parts of the plugin.

Was interested in seeing if others wanted reviews, but people don't seem to be terribly interested.

I'll take a deeper look at NewPoints when I get a little more time.  Looks like a good job overall Pirata Nervo Smile

My Blog
06-16-2010 08:39 PM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(06-16-2010 08:39 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Sure, but as there's a lot of code, I'm probably only going to be looking at small parts of the plugin.

Was interested in seeing if others wanted reviews, but people don't seem to be terribly interested.

I'll take a deeper look at NewPoints when I get a little more time.  Looks like a good job overall Pirata Nervo Smile

Sure, thanks Smile Take your time.
06-16-2010 09:20 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
It'll probably be done on the weekend as I have tests now.  BTW, to remind you, the "review" will be quite negative (as mentioned in the first post) - you okay with that?

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 11:03 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
06-17-2010 11:03 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(06-17-2010 11:03 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  It'll probably be done on the weekend as I have tests now.  BTW, to remind you, the "review" will be quite negative (as mentioned in the first post) - you okay with that?

Yeah, that's what I want Smile PM me it if you don't mind though Tongue
06-17-2010 09:35 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools