Has anyone
Harry Offline
RE: Has anyone
(06-15-2010 04:38 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(06-15-2010 11:24 AM)Harry Wrote:  As for switching.. Look at the recent huge migration from vB to IPB over the vb pricing crap.
I'm not sure how large that is exactly.  All vB forums I visit still are on vB.  Just because you see some people do it, it doesn't necessarily represent the larger community.  Most webmasters, from what I can tell, want something set up, and then being able to forget about it, and not to have to hassle with conversions.
But anyway, for these group of people converting, that's because it's a commercial system that you have to keep paying to use (or receive updates).
If they offered free updates forever, then you can be sure many people wouldn't want to change.

(06-15-2010 11:24 AM)Harry Wrote:  You know as well as i do that MYBB can do just about everything IPB does.
I strongly doubt that.
But I haven't used IPB to be able to judge there, though I know it does come along with a lot more modules.

(06-15-2010 11:24 AM)Harry Wrote:  Really nothing else explains why people such as them who went from vb to IPB continue to avoid MYBB. We all know it is a great scipt that can do anything IPB etc can do.
Even so, you're method of judging things is too simple.
There are lots of factors, including information gathering issues (not everyone wants to spend time researching forum systems, or perhaps dig deep in code to see its quality) to personal preferences.

As mentioned before i use both IPB and MYBB. My IPB license is current and up to date. Thus know it pretty well and the community as well. Anyways there was a large number of people who converted to IPB from vB. Mostly lifetime license holders of vB though.

You would be surprised as to what can or cannot be done. In this regard MYBB is never given enough credit. The main difference is what comes with the core and design/style. I find IPB to be a huge pain in the ass to style as well. Ofcourse some who probably think the same of mybb. But anyways they can both do the same thing. Plub MYBB is as well alot further advanced with the hook/plugin system. IPB Is slowly working on that but making some progress. Still has a ways to go to get to what MYBB has.

The research part i admit is probably a part of it as well. Good point. Still a  number of people who never heard of MYBB. MYBB has been mentioned on the IPS forums and have seen a few who never heard of it. So yeah maybe i have overstated it a little. Tongue
06-16-2010 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Has anyone
Most other systems which don't use hooking have some sort of automated code editing solution, which seems fine to me as end users still don't need to manually edit code.
It's perhaps a bit less secure, though I don't think it's that big of an issue (in MyBB, inc/settings.php needs to be writable, for example).

The code editing system will often be a lot more flexible than hooking.  I find I spend a lot of time trying to come up with clever workarounds to the hook system, since the number of hooks is limited.

My Blog
06-16-2010 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools