Hide Sigs of New Users
I've been getting a number of spammers register at my forums who seem to make really stupid posts, whilst carrying spam links in their signatures, and usually leave and abandon the account.
Getting a bit annoyed, I made this simple plugin, which will simply hide signatures and website links of users with low post counts.  Adds a setting under Profile options to specify the minimum post count for signatures to be shown.  It will hide signatures in posts and the profile page, and will give a warning in the edit signature page that signatures will be hidden.

Can't say that this will reduce spam or not, but ideally, it may be a bit of a disincentive to spammers to post on your forums (if they consider that at all).
Otherwise, maybe it may have other uses.

Caveat: this plugin uses the user's post count, so posts in forums which don't add to post count, won't count for this plugin either.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021 08:43 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Download: hidenewbsigs.php (3.3 KB)
Plugin Version: 1.3
Last Updated: 02-28-2021, 08:43 PM

Downloads: 1,562
MyBB Compatibility: 1.2.x, 1.4.x, 1.6.x, 1.8.x
Plugin License: WTFPLv2
Uploader: ZiNgA BuRgA
Shemo Offline
RE: Hide Sigs of New Users
thanks for this.

I run a political forum and been getting a lot of spammers for "law centers" signing up, dropping links in their signatures and never coming back.  hope this helps with that!
02-17-2011 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mehtuus Offline
I know that your description indicates that settings are located at "Profile" settings, but I am unable to locate any settings for this plugin. This is with MyBB 1.6.3.
05-15-2011 09:36 PM
RateU Offline
Administrator
You should find the setting at the end of the User Registration and Profile Options:

Are you the setting is not there?

05-16-2011 01:27 AM
mehtuus Offline
(05-16-2011 01:27 AM)RateU Wrote:  You should find the setting at the end of the User Registration and Profile Options:
Are you the setting is not there?

That was it! I was just looking in the wrong areas and missed this one. Having the exact name of the location helped me to find it in about 2 seconds. Thank you.
05-16-2011 01:52 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
v1.2: Mark as MyBB 1.8 compatible

My Blog
12-08-2014 08:40 PM
CanadaCommunity.org Offline
Hi this plugin does not seem to work anymore, new members (which are usually spammers) leave a website url and then they logout and it can be seen by guests. Any solution?
06-18-2018 04:44 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Updated plugin to fix website link not being hidden on profile page on MyBB 1.8.x.

My Blog
02-28-2021 08:44 PM
phorumws Offline
Thanks for this, i have just re-launched my forum using myBB (from phpBB) and this will come in handy.  love this Forum!
BTW, where do I make Requests guyz? (I'm looking for a way to add a 'Forum Rules' thread stay at the top of each forum above all other threads, like on phpBB. And also a Global Thread Plugin with same 'sticky' feature above all other threads & a Donate/Rules Pages plugins/hacks. Cheerz!)
09-25-2021 03:28 PM