Any ideas?
Harry Offline
Any ideas?
On how this could be done in MYBB? Get the weather obs to show for each member location? Obviously this will only work/look decent with the classic postbit.

How that works is in your profile section there is a added option to add your  weather station id which for here would be KBTL.. I know they are using a RSS feed.

I tried it myself a few months ago but kept getting a array message in that part of the profile for those who did not add theirs. Plus it did not look as nice as that did so i just scrapped it. I would like it so if they don't add it no such error message shows and it looks half decent.

Thanks..
07-07-2010 03:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Any ideas?
Well, there's two ways of going about it.

The dumb and silly way is just to directly fetch the feed and output it directly to the postbit.  My guess is that most people would choose this, if asked.  It's dumb and silly because results are uncached, but otherwise fine if you don't mind your server getting killed by potentially going out and fetching 10 different feeds every time someone tries to load showthread.

The "better" way is to use some cache and retrieve feeds periodically, but this is by no means something I'd consider particularly "easy".  All in all, I'd just stick a link to the external website - displaying it inline really doesn't offer that much benefit, especially considering all the effort required to make it work *well*.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2010 09:23 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
07-07-2010 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools