Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
exdiogene Offline
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
@Pirata Nervo :

Because you are a more reasonable guy and are more open minded i will try again to expose my legal point of view on this topic.

Even if GPL is viral, the license cannot affect an add-on when the add-on is not installed on it...

If a software developper create a software add-on in is garage for himself to use on his own non-GPL created forum, do you believe that a different GPL forum in another country will affect his own right to use the add-on, if it work on it, and that it is giving the right to all users of the other country GPL forum to copy his add-on and distribute it in their country on the sole basis that the add-on is working on their own forum?

Any people with a IQ over 100 should understand that in this specific condition the users not respecting the license of the software developper are commiting a crime against its intellectual property!

Now, we will try to go a step further: If for some reason the software developper decide to sell his add-on with a non-GPL license without permitting to install it on a GPL application, do this give the right to a user to install it on a GPL application and make it virally a GPL by doing this? Absolutely not, the user would be at fault.

So, if we consider legal issues here it is easily understandable that the viral effect of the GPL application would be applicable only if the add-on is installed legally on the GPL application.

This would be quite easy to chalenge in court and the common sense and the respect of intellectual property of an author would win.

I have been in the legal system for over 30 years, i really know how it is working and i could easily face a group of 50 young lawyers believing they are all mighty knowing gods! A court is still a court and there are things they cannot consider as legal, period.

P.S. GPL licenses are illegal in certain countries, because of their own legal system, did you knew it?  Wink
07-20-2010 12:31 AM
Find all posts by this user
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-20-2010 12:31 AM)exdiogene Wrote:  @Pirata Nervo :

Because you are a more reasonable guy and are more open minded i will try again to expose my legal point of view on this topic.

Even if GPL is viral, the license cannot affect an add-on when the add-on is not installed on it...

If a software developper create a software add-on in is garage for himself to use on his own non-GPL created forum, do you believe that a different GPL forum in another country will affect his own right to use the add-on, if it work on it, and that it is giving the right to all users of the other country GPL forum to copy his add-on and distribute it in their country on the sole basis that the add-on is working on their own forum?

Any people with a IQ over 100 should understand that in this specific condition the users not respecting the license of the software developper are commiting a crime against its intellectual property!

Now, we will try to go a step further: If for some reason the software developper decide to sell his add-on with a non-GPL license without permitting to install it on a GPL application, do this give the right to a user to install it on a GPL application and make it virally a GPL by doing this? Absolutely not, the user would be at fault.

So, if we consider legal issues here it is easily understandable that the viral effect of the GPL application would be applicable only if the add-on is installed legally on the GPL application.

This would be quite easy to chalenge in court and the common sense and the respect of intellectual property of an author would win.

I have been in the legal system for over 30 years, i really know how it is working and i could easily face a group of 50 young lawyers believing they are all mighty knowing gods! A court is still a court and there are things they cannot consider as legal, period.

P.S. GPL licenses are illegal in certain countries, because of their own legal system, did you knew it?  Wink

Okay I understand what you mean now. From what I understand, you're saying that if I release a plugin under a license which is not GPL, it only becomes GPL if the user uses it with a GPL product.
And technically you're correct. Just because my software can work under MyBB's API, it doesn't mean it must be GPL, it only becomes GPL once it's used with MyBB. I believe this is what you mean, am I right? It makes sense.

The same does not apply to compiled programs whose libraries (imagine they're GPL) must be linked and thus you're automatically assigning your program to a library which is GPL - making use of it on compiling makes it GPL too.
07-20-2010 12:50 AM
exdiogene Offline
I am so happy when people understand that easily! Yipi

So many people have a bad image of the viral effect of a GPL license, they believe they can grab any other softwares that can work with a GPL product and do whatever they want with it, what in fact is absolutely and legally false.

Justice courts are deciding on facts and jurisprudence, rarely on impressions and feelings.

Wink
07-20-2010 01:02 AM
Harry Offline
(07-20-2010 12:50 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

Okay I understand what you mean now. From what I understand, you're saying that if I release a plugin under a license which is not GPL, it only becomes GPL if the user uses it with a GPL product.
And technically you're correct. Just because my software can work under MyBB's API, it doesn't mean it must be GPL, it only becomes GPL once it's used with MyBB. I believe this is what you mean, am I right? It makes sense.

The same does not apply to compiled programs whose libraries (imagine they're GPL) must be linked and thus you're automatically assigning your program to a library which is GPL - making use of it on compiling makes it GPL too.

Thing is you are selling/releasing it to MYBB users FOR MYBB. I am 100% certain that as seing how you are targeting MYBB users and the MYBB system the plugin is GPL. If you are not targeting MYBB then different story. I said Plugins that are FOR MYBB and thus those being released to MYBB users.

So lets make sure we have this correct..

This is for plugins that are FOR MYBB. I am not referring to anything else.

Nice attempt though to try and go around it.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 02:18 AM by Harry.)
07-20-2010 02:14 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-20-2010 02:14 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Thing is you are selling/releasing it to MYBB users FOR MYBB. I am 100% certain that as seing how you are targeting MYBB users and the MYBB system the plugin is GPL. If you are not targeting MYBB then different story. I said Plugins that are FOR MYBB and thus those being released to MYBB users.

But still it's only GPL once used, until then it's not GPL and can be anything else
Edit:
I find it interesting though that this thread was about MyBB and once you came here it turned out in a paid plugins vs free plugins thread again..
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 02:26 AM by Pirata Nervo.)
07-20-2010 02:26 AM
Harry Offline
(07-20-2010 02:26 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

But still it's only GPL once used, until then it's not GPL and can be anything else
Edit:
I find it interesting though that this thread was about MyBB and once you came here it turned out in a paid plugins vs free plugins thread again..

I did no such thing. Nice try again. All i did was correct a lie which i find interesting how a number of you continue to try and push.

DON'T lie and i wont say a damn thing. You are just pissed off because you all couldn't push your lies because i called you all on it. I said nothing till the lie was mentioned.  That btw really says alot about the kind of business man you must be.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 02:30 AM by Harry.)
07-20-2010 02:29 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-20-2010 02:29 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Edit:

I did no such thing. Nice try again. All i did was correct a lie which i find interesting how a number of you continue to try and push.

DON'T lie and i wont say a damn thing.

Okay Harry...we're all liars now please go somewhere else..
07-20-2010 02:29 AM
Harry Offline
(07-20-2010 02:29 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

Edit:

So you can push your lies/dishonesty again? lol

As said.. Don't lie about any of it and i wont say a thing. I think that is pretty fair and easy to do.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 02:32 AM by Harry.)
07-20-2010 02:32 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-20-2010 02:32 AM)Harry Wrote:  
(07-20-2010 02:29 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

Edit:

So you can push your lies/dishonesty again? lol

As said.. Don't lie about any of it and i wont say a thing. I think that is pretty fair and easy to do.

Sure Harry...
07-20-2010 02:35 AM
Harry Offline
(07-20-2010 02:35 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  Sure Harry...

Your the one who wants me gone for correcting a lie. Your the one blaiming me for starting this paid vs free crap when i have not even mentioned it. Lying again i might add. All i did was make a correction about what was said about the license and plugins.

Basically same shit as always. You people are unbelievable. I have no problem with someone trying to make a honest buck ( even mentioned the GPL allows it and even encourages it ) but when lying is adding to a mix which you all did you damn well better believe i am gonna say something.

Oh and btw i do run a very successful internet business as well. So yeah it bugs me when i see people trying to skirt the facts with lies. I offer things that can and cant be found elsewhere for free but i sure as hell don't lie or alter the facts to try and gain a extra buck. Sorry but that is dishonest.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 02:52 AM by Harry.)
07-20-2010 02:41 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools