Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
exdiogene Offline
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-18-2010 03:47 AM)Technoman Wrote:  
(07-17-2010 05:39 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote:  For once can you just call me Bob or Bob Jansen instead of immaturely capping my and other staff names and spelling them.

In all other instances from now on I will spell your name on how I see it fit  "MyBB Brat" this will be easier to remember for me and all the rest of us.

May i please ask you Technoman to show some respect to even people you do not like because the way they behave. Calling people by their real names is a human decent way to behave, if you want to criticise someone then you should give the example of the way of doing it!

I would greatly appreciate if these constructive discussions could be maintain with the more civil way.

Thank you!

Smile
07-18-2010 04:01 AM
Find all posts by this user
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
(07-18-2010 04:01 AM)exdiogene Wrote:  May i please ask you Technoman to show some respect to even people you do not like because the way they behave. Calling people by their real names is a human decent way to behave, if you want to criticise someone then you should give the example of the way of doing it!

Thank you!

Smile

I agree with you there, I know that I wasn't the adult I should have been but I think that when writting my reply in regards I was a bit upset and it still doesnt give me any reason to call him "MyBB Brat".

"Bob Jansen" I will start to use from now on..
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 04:25 AM by Technoman.)
07-18-2010 04:21 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
My point here is not to tell people to not use MyBB (that would not even make sense to me because some of my money comes from MyBB!).
I'm sure we would have been banned already from MyBB if we had this discussion there. We just want freedom of speech and just ban us if we do not talk correctly (not really sure how say it in English, something like insulting other people).

Stop closing and especially unapproving threads that make no sense to unapprove. That's all I ask
07-18-2010 04:31 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
To answer Technoman: When I decide to make my software open source and to release it to public it stays open source until the end of support. I'm not changing the license for whatever ''business opportunity". The open source allows you to earn more actually on long time. Payed plugins (not payed support, knowledge isn't free) is a shame for this software. If I had bulletin board system under my control, I would refuse any author with payed plugins. Plus I would start shunting down all boards that require payed subscription. When I declare one license, I keep working under that license. Also any plugin that extends board much more would be payed after requested permission but kept on the official board forum where the author could provide support. Punto. Let's see how people could make money from providing support.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 04:46 AM by Lich_king2.)
07-18-2010 04:43 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-18-2010 04:43 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  To answer Technoman: When I decide to make my software open source and to release it to public it stays open source until the end of support. I'm not changing the license for whatever ''business opportunity". The open source allows you to earn more actually on long time. Payed plugins (not payed support, knowledge isn't free) is a shame for this software. If I had bulletin board system under my control, I would refuse any author with payed plugins. Plus I would start shunting down all boards that require payed subscription. When I declare one license, I keep working under that license. Also any plugin that extends board much more would be payed after requested permission but kept on the official board forum where the author could provide support. Punto. Let's see how people could make money from providing support.

For your information, I could still sell paid plugins and you could do nothing as long as my plugins were open source. So yeah, open source doesn't mean "free".
07-18-2010 05:00 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A This video is exactly the type of MyBB behavior.
@Pirata Nervo: Yeah but not if the bulletin board authors request that you remove them from your site, because he could say that you're hurting his intellectual copyright.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
07-18-2010 05:12 AM
exdiogene Offline
@Lich_king2
I totally disagree with your pretention that any bulletin board authors could request that someone remove a plugin from their site, this as no legal basis and such a demand will be easily dismissed by simply telling any arbitror that the plugin was created to work on an application and sold to a user and it is the user that should be considered faulty to install it on that application if for any reason it was not permited.

I would easily chalenge any court and lawyer on this.

I would strongly suggest you to read the details of GPL license and you will not find anywhere writen that another company cannot sell add-ons for a GPL application. It is the fact that they are sold with the GPL application or installed on it that is a real issue and this as nothing to do with the plugin author work and business at all...

Wink
07-18-2010 05:46 AM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
(07-18-2010 05:12 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Yeah but not if MyBB authors request that you remove them from your site, because he could say that you're hurting his intellectual copyright.

At one time not long ago I have to admit I  did think the same as you ... Heck im a subscriber to almost all the subscription sites that MyBB has for us, and I don't reget it at all.

But, most Free plugins are very buggy and badly written on MyBB.com except a very few.

BUT when PEOPLE like myself want better and more complicated  plugins for our very own forum, the free ones just aren’t doing the job for us.

And Support for these outdated or buggy plugins on MYBB is virtually non-existent for FREE PLUGINS.

The real Developers are too busy working on projects that pay them money,  they serve there paid time on there site to paid subscribers. I don’t blame them.

So where do we turn next?

We turn to our Search Engines of course and search for “MyBB Plugins” or "MyBB Codes" or "MyBB Themes".
07-18-2010 05:55 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
Sure. Half of issues and complaints about MyBB are because of paid plugins. I'm not the only one that complains just about that.
But would it be allowed if they published without prior authors permission to publish the payed addon?
Thanks for clearing it up Technoman. That's another reason why I won't be getting any payed plugin. Sorry but lite features and that some of the free plugins are doesn't just go right. Actually the free plugins are starting ground for authors to succeed and than to start offering payed plugins.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 06:05 AM by Lich_king2.)
07-18-2010 05:57 AM
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
(07-18-2010 05:57 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Sure. Half of issue and complaints about MyBB are because of paid plugins. I'm not the only one.
I disagree with you, its the FREE PLUGINS that have more complaints, cause the Developer doesnt have time or has gone elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 06:05 AM by Technoman.)
07-18-2010 06:04 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools