Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
Pirata Nervo Offline
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-18-2010 05:12 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A This video is exactly the type of MyBB behavior.
@Pirata Nervo: Yeah but not if the bulletin board authors request that you remove them from your site, because he could say that you're hurting his intellectual copyright.

You're wrong. MyBB 1.4 is GPL and I can do everything I want with it. I can sell it for 1 billion dollars as long as it's still GPL. I can do it and you can't do anything against me as long as I respect the license. The same applies to extensions to GPL software, I can still sell them if I want to as long they remain GPL and you can't do anything. MyBB can get me to remove all my plugins if they want to but since they're moving to LGPL it doesn't make much sense.

(07-18-2010 06:29 AM)MattR Wrote:  Can I just make a point about the unapproving threads things.

Sometimes when a thread is unapproved (I'm not saying this applies to all of them), multiple people have reported it or raised concerns about it, because it's turning into a flame war and people are handing out personal attacks, so we close it and give warnings if necessary. Then, the people involved or those who reported it are happy. But then people come out saying it shouldn't have been unapproved, all the stuff people are saying here. OK, thing is, if we didn't, the people who reported it would complain that we're not doing our job. So what do we do then?? There are some people who say we should moderate less, be more lenient, let more things go, ban less, warn less. However there's other people who say we should moderate more, be stricter, let less things go, ban more, warn more. So then what the hell do we do?? This isn't just me going "boo hoo, no matter what we do we can't win", I am being completely serious. Every action we take will satisfy one group of people and anger another. Let's just say for a moment we did exactly what people here want, say we didn't unapprove/close threads as much etc, everything you want, I can pretty much guarantee that before long a different set of people would start saying that we're being unprofessional by moderating less than what they deem necessary, as opposed to you thinking we moderate more than what you deem necessary, and that undermoderating is damaging our image, as opposed to you thinking overmoderating is damaging our image. On more than one occasion there has been a thread saying we moderate too much and a thread saying we moderate too little, in a single day.

So what do you do in that situation??

As you can imagine, I was not referring to that kind of threads. Even I have participated in threads were I could not find any flaming and it got closed just because the moderator didn't want it to be open.

Edit:WHen I said "MyBB can get me to remove all my plugins if they want to but since they're moving to LGPL it doesn't make much sense." I meant that because my plugins are not GPL.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2010 06:59 AM by Pirata Nervo.)
07-18-2010 06:55 AM
Find all posts by this user

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen - Pirata Nervo - 07-18-2010 06:55 AM

Standard Tools