Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-18-2010 06:29 AM)MattR Wrote:  Sometimes when a thread is unapproved (I'm not saying this applies to all of them), multiple people have reported it or raised concerns about it, because it's turning into a flame war and people are handing out personal attacks, so we close it and give warnings if necessary. Then, the people involved or those who reported it are happy. But then people come out saying it shouldn't have been unapproved, all the stuff people are saying here. OK, thing is, if we didn't, the people who reported it would complain that we're not doing our job. So what do we do then?? There are some people who say we should moderate less, be more lenient, let more things go, ban less, warn less. However there's other people who say we should moderate more, be stricter, let less things go, ban more, warn more. So then what the hell do we do?? This isn't just me going "boo hoo, no matter what we do we can't win", I am being completely serious. Every action we take will satisfy one group of people and anger another. Let's just say for a moment we did exactly what people here want, say we didn't unapprove/close threads as much etc, everything you want, I can pretty much guarantee that before long a different set of people would start saying that we're being unprofessional by moderating less than what they deem necessary, as opposed to you thinking we moderate more than what you deem necessary, and that undermoderating is damaging our image, as opposed to you thinking overmoderating is damaging our image. On more than one occasion there has been a thread saying we moderate too much and a thread saying we moderate too little, in a single day.
If that's the case, you're doing it totally wrong.
You evidently have a conflict, so just going with one side and then waving your hands about as if you don't know what to do isn't particularly a smart decision.

Firstly, you need to actually considering the arguments in support and against an action, from both sides, and make an evaluation.  And of course, make sure people understand why - hiding a random thread explains about as much to them as their car randomly disappearing.
I'm not saying you can please everyone, however you can attempt to at least try to work with both parties to resolve an issue.

Why do people want more moderation?  What's their incentives?  Their arguments?  Do you agree with them?  What side effects do they have?
Why do people want less moderation?  What's their incentives, etc...
Why have you picked the policies the way that they are now?  What positive and negative aspects does it have?
You need to try to explain all of that.

(07-18-2010 07:30 AM)Technoman Wrote:  The kids are in the back of MyBB and are playing PSP or there chit chating about eating humans!!!
You, on the other hand, need to be more understanding towards others and value peoples' likes and dislikes, and be more open minded in general.  Just because you think something is stupid, rude or whatever doesn't mean the majority does.  And you need to be able to accept community values, which may not even reflect the majority.

(07-18-2010 07:59 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  Yes, MyBB is free and more and more kids are coming. I'm not saying it's a bad thing if they're mature enough to be part of the MyBB community (notice that people don't need to be part of it just because they use the software!) but when kids are not mature enough to be part of the MyBB community, they just should not be welcomed
As I suspect most of these can be thanks to labrocca's hacking forums, with heaps of idiot script kiddies flooding the MyBB community.  (interestingly, this can also be advantageous to his business interests)
As long as this exists, I don't think there's going to be any less of these egotistic kiddies coming along.

My Blog
07-18-2010 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen - ZiNgA BuRgA - 07-18-2010 05:35 PM

Standard Tools