Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
Harry Offline
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-19-2010 10:42 AM)exdiogene Wrote:  @Harry :

I am very sorry to tell you this, but i strongly suggest you to read the GPL license properly or consult a lawyer before stating complete non-sense affirmations.

If a user decide to install a non-GPL add-ons over a GPL application, they are doing something wrong if they try to redistribute the add-ons afterward. And no GPL application owner can do anything against a non-GPL addons author just because he created it or have it for sale...

So, please reconsider your affirmations with a previous legal consultation. Because it is evident that you lack international legal knowledge.

Thank you.

You are not understanding the issue. The issue is ALL plugins/themes for MYBB are GPL. You cannot make a non GPL add-on ( Plugin ) for MYBB. Anything added/plugins are GPL if they plugin to MYBB. Doesn't matter if the plugin author used a license that shouldn't have used. That license is invalid and thus the plugin IS gpl.

So ANYONE doing a add-on/plugin for MYBB and tries to use a non GPL compliant license is the ones who are in the wrong.
Example....

Say i release a profile plugin for MYBB. IF i try to slap on a license that forbids redistributing then i am NOT complying with the GPL and there for my license is invalid and the GPL is what overrides it. So if you were to buy it you could legally redistribute it and there is nothing i can do. That is because the GPL allows for redistributing.

THAT BTW is why MYBB is talking about going with the LGPL.. That would allow the type of license that would forbid redistributing the plugin and or theme. That will be for those who wish to do stuff on their own sites as everything posted/added to MYBB.COM will have to be GPL.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 11:00 AM by Harry.)
07-19-2010 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen - Harry - 07-19-2010 10:49 AM

Standard Tools