Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
 link directory...can someone make this?
RateU Offline
Administrator
RE: link directory...can someone make this?
(01-07-2018 02:02 AM)Verilog Wrote:  but there is no way using the existing system ?

As far as I know, not if you want it automatically.
If you want it manually, just create a forum so all links will be submitted to the forum, then move it manually into one of the Link Directory forums. For this, you don't need the custom thread field as category.

01-07-2018 02:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Verilog Offline
(01-07-2018 02:13 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 02:02 AM)Verilog Wrote:  but there is no way using the existing system ?

As far as I know, not if you want it automatically.
If you want it manually, just create a forum so all links will be submitted to the forum, then move it manually into one of the Link Directory forums. For this, you don't need the custom thread field as category.
I do feel that is a good way but it will require lot of work in case forum grows Smile
For now, I will switch to manual method but moving threads based on custom thread field will be a good modification I think.

I actually like the second example with one forum, but there are two problems I feel in that way :-
1. We can't count the number of links submitted in each category(without plugin)
2. Clicking on each category can produce slow result than clicking on subforum.(I am too sure of this without testing)

Hence I prefer the first one Smile
01-07-2018 02:23 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(01-07-2018 02:23 AM)Verilog Wrote:  1. We can't count the number of links submitted in each category(without plugin)

Yeah, we need to count links inside each categories by a plugin, then cache it.

(01-07-2018 02:23 AM)Verilog Wrote:  2. Clicking on each category can produce slow result than clicking on subforum.(I am too sure of this without testing)

If you set the Filtering Mode setting, XThreads will adds Index to the field/column. So it should fast.

For the 1st example (for moving thread), you can try this plugin (attached).
Edit this line:

PHP Code:
$xtld_cat_key = 'xtld_cat';

Change it to the key of the 'category' custom thread field.

PHP Code:
$xtld_fids = array(4,5);

Change it to the forum ID(s) of Link Directory.

Place newthread link anywhere you like, linked to one of Link Directory forum. After the thread submitted, it will be move automatically to the forum ID chosen in the custom thread field.

Attached File(s)
.php  mnxt_links_directory.php (Size: 1.06 KB / Downloads: 334)

01-07-2018 02:46 AM
Verilog Offline
(01-07-2018 02:46 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 02:23 AM)Verilog Wrote:  1. We can't count the number of links submitted in each category(without plugin)

Yeah, we need to count links inside each categories by a plugin, then cache it.

(01-07-2018 02:23 AM)Verilog Wrote:  2. Clicking on each category can produce slow result than clicking on subforum.(I am too sure of this without testing)

If you set the Filtering Mode setting, XThreads will adds Index to the field/column. So it should fast.

For the 1st example (for moving thread), you can try this plugin (attached).
Edit this line:

PHP Code:
$xtld_cat_key = 'xtld_cat';

Change it to the key of the 'category' custom thread field.

PHP Code:
$xtld_fids = array(4,5);

Change it to the forum ID(s) of Link Directory.

Place newthread link anywhere you like, linked to one of Link Directory forum. After the thread submitted, it will be move automatically to the forum ID chosen in the custom thread field.

Wow, thats super fast Smile
I will give it a try, thanks a lot <3
RateU, I have a question regarding above plugin. Does allowing all users to have moderation privilege posses any security risk ?
I just thought it it can be exploited ?
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 03:15 AM by Verilog.)
01-07-2018 02:57 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
It doesn't give any moderation privilege to the users. Basically, it is the same as the users choose in which forum they want to post it.
The thread will be moved after it is created by MyBB. It means that it already passed all validation and permission checking in the original forum (forum linked to the newthread link). It also will be applied for forum(s) in the $xtld_fids setting only (original and destination forums).

01-08-2018 01:10 AM
Verilog Offline
(01-08-2018 01:10 AM)RateU Wrote:  It doesn't give any moderation privilege to the users. Basically, it is the same as the users choose in which forum they want to post it.
The thread will be moved after it is created by MyBB. It means that it already passed all validation and permission checking in the original forum (forum linked to the newthread link). It also will be applied for forum(s) in the $xtld_fids setting only (original and destination forums).

Thanks RateU, I thought I will ask after checking class_moderation include Smile
01-09-2018 07:11 PM
RateU Offline
Administrator
Nah, it is OK. Better to ask than doubting Smile

Forgot to mention that it is applied in newthread only, not in editpost. So if the user try to change the category when editing the thread, it won't be moved.

Also it needs to use something like this in Value List:

Code:
4{|}Forum Link Directory 1
5{|}Forum Link Directory 2

which is 4 and 5 are the forum IDs of the Link Directory forums.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 12:17 AM by RateU.)
01-10-2018 12:05 AM
Verilog Offline
(01-10-2018 12:05 AM)RateU Wrote:  Nah, it is OK. Better to ask than doubting Smile

Forgot to mention that it is applied in newthread only, not in editpost. So if the user try to change the category when editing the thread, it won't be moved.

Also it needs to use something like this in Value List:

Code:
4{|}Forum Link Directory 1
5{|}Forum Link Directory 2

which is 4 and 5 are the forum IDs of the Link Directory forums.

I am okay with not moving my editpost, moderator can do that part.
Also I followed it that way only Smile
One more thing RateU, what if I want to show all the links in the main category like in second example ?
I can use the custom thread field to show the category in the links like in second category.
01-10-2018 02:21 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(01-10-2018 02:21 AM)Verilog Wrote:  One more thing RateU, what if I want to show all the links in the main category like in second example ?
I can use the custom thread field to show the category in the links like in second category.

You can't do that. You must pull out the threads by a plugin. That is the biggest advantages by using one forum only.

01-11-2018 03:47 AM
Verilog Offline
(01-11-2018 03:47 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 02:21 AM)Verilog Wrote:  One more thing RateU, what if I want to show all the links in the main category like in second example ?

You can't do that. You must pull out the threads by a plugin. That is the biggest advantages by using one forum only.
Okay, then I guess I will use one forum as it suits my needs Smile
Also is there a way I can use the custom thread fields to show them on index page with or without sorting based on views?
01-12-2018 04:22 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools