MyPlaza Phoenix: Will MyPlaza Survive Again?
Firefox Wins Offline
MyPlaza Phoenix: Will MyPlaza Survive Again?
MyPlaza, IMO, was ahead of it's time and deserves to still exist.
What is good / bad about MyPlaza?

The Positives:
Powerful
Flexible
Extensible
Many options for use, only limited by your effort and imagination.

The Negatives:
To complex?
Hard to use?
^^^
re: To complex? / Hard to use?
This was said too often about MyPlaza, wasn't it?

Question #1:
If (~75 to 85% of people are not willing or able to "climb a simple learning curve")
{ Then the other ~20% of all people should be denied the chance to use challenging, rewarding, super-cool products and software?  }
^^^

Question #2:
How hard would the upgrade from MyPlaza1.2 to MyBB1.6 really be?
A few plugin hooks with different names?
Queries modified?
Is this a "massive project" or "climbing a simple learning curve?"

MyPlaza IS AWESOME!
Thank you.  Tongue
08-05-2010 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: MyPlaza Phoenix: Will MyPlaza Survive Again?
(08-05-2010 03:46 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  re: To complex? / Hard to use?
This was said too often about MyPlaza, wasn't it?
That's because it was basically labrocca's marketing campaign so he could justify people use his crap MYPS (yes, it's crap, it (used to, I dunno about now) have poor indentation, query in loops and I found 2 security exploits within 3 minutes of looking at the code (and I wasn't really trying to find any)).  And since the MyBB community in general is full of clueless idiots, or labrocca fans, they tagged along.
In reality, I wouldn't really consider it too complicated, even though I admit some ideas perhaps suit the understanding of a programmer more.

In essence, a reasonable comparison, to MYPS, would be Notepad (MYPS) vs Notepad++ (MyPlaza).  All the Notepad features are pretty much just as easily accessible in Notepad++, however the latter doesn't break newlines, is far more extensible, and has a lot of useful features.  If you don't need the features, you just simply don't use them.
MyPlaza can easily be slimmed down to be even more basic than MYPS, but people are too stupid to buy the idea.  (heck, people always wanting more features somehow got convinced that less is better)

(08-05-2010 03:46 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  Question #1:
If (~75 to 85% of people are not willing or able to "climb a simple learning curve")
{ Then the other ~20% of all people should be denied the chance to use challenging, rewarding, super-cool products and software?  }
I don't code for the masses.  Most paid plugin developers, or those who release stuff just to enlarge their e-peen, do that, after all, it generates income or satisfies their ADD.  I'm more interested in stuff that others probably won't write, whether it's challenging, difficult to get right, or an interesting idea.
So for me, I really don't care whether others use something or not, I only code for myself these days.

(08-05-2010 03:46 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  Question #2:
How hard would the upgrade from MyPlaza1.2 to MyBB1.6 really be?
A few plugin hooks with different names?
Queries modified?
1.2 -> 1.6 will take some effort, but 1.4 -> 1.6 will be simpler.  In fact, I do have a somewhat working and broken version on my main forum, based of Pirata Nervo's nice 1.4 port (he did pretty well considering my bad coding practices Tongue).
In all honesty though, I've lost interest in this project.  I did originally want people to develop for it - it seems that has somewhat come, though more in the 1.4 fork, but at the time, I considered the project to be a failure.

Thanks for the comments Smile

My Blog
08-05-2010 06:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools