Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
 Trading Forum
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Trading Forum
I don't recommend using development versions.  Although I guess times have changed a bit with softwares, and a lot of people go about using development or beta versions, it's a little different with a forum because of the fact that there's persistent storage which you can't easily recover.  I use development versions of Media Player Classic HomeCinema for example - because in the worst case, I just lose my settings (though this is doubtful cause it's unlikely there'll be a schema change).

Whilst I do try to make development versions stable, perhaps the biggest issue is that it's difficult to get the upgrader to work right.  If I make a schema change, I add it to the upgrader so everything works out smoothly.  However, with a development version, you may have half the schema changes of an official release, which the upgrader won't be able to pick up for you.
If you're comfortable with diff'ing the inc/xthreads/xt_upgrader.php file and reading through the PHP though, you can apply the changes manually.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010 09:55 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
12-17-2010 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MasterZuFu Offline
(12-17-2010 09:54 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I don't recommend using development versions.  Although I guess times have changed a bit with softwares, and a lot of people go about using development or beta versions, it's a little different with a forum because of the fact that there's persistent storage which you can't easily recover.  I use development versions of Media Player Classic HomeCinema for example - because in the worst case, I just lose my settings (though this is doubtful cause it's unlikely there'll be a schema change).

Whilst I do try to make development versions stable, perhaps the biggest issue is that it's difficult to get the upgrader to work right.  If I make a schema change, I add it to the upgrader so everything works out smoothly.  However, with a development version, you may have half the schema changes of an official release, which the upgrader won't be able to pick up for you.
If you're comfortable with diff'ing the inc/xthreads/xt_upgrader.php file and reading through the PHP though, you can apply the changes manually.

lol, well....I thought it was ok b/c RateU told me to upgrade, so I did. LOL! I'll take this advice though (and thank you LeeFish for pointing this out as well, I just assumed though that since RateU told me to do it that it would be ok). Sorry!!! Smile

12-17-2010 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
He told you to upgrade because you were already on a development (non-stable) version (so in a sense, the harm had already been done).

My Blog
12-17-2010 01:14 PM
MasterZuFu Offline
Oh....oh. I didn't even realize I was on a dev version. My mistake.

12-17-2010 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RateU Offline
Administrator
For using a dev version, I think Yumi/ZiNgA already said it several times:

(10-07-2010 10:18 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I don't suggest anyone actually use the versions here as I mostly won't even bother testing them, and upgrade scripts certainly won't take them into account, but anyway, for anyone interested:
http://github.com/zingaburga/XThreads-MyBB-Plugin
Note that you shouldn't use the page to report issues etc - just keeping them here is fine.

(10-27-2010 01:01 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Please only install development versions in a testing environment.

For your case, it is more "difficult" to me for suggesting you to downgrade your XThreads version to 1.337.

(12-17-2010 01:14 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  He told you to upgrade because you were already on a development (non-stable) version (so in a sense, the harm had already been done).

This Smile

12-18-2010 03:16 AM
MasterZuFu Offline
lol, yeah, I still didn't realize it though. Guess I just overlooked it or something. So LeeFish has the link to the stable release? Or? Shouldn't that be on this site anywhere? because I looked for it and couldn't find it. I'll just stick with the version I got and wait until the next release comes out. Smile

12-18-2010 03:22 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster

[Image: 5ebga8.jpg]

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 03:27 AM by leefish.)
12-18-2010 03:23 AM
MasterZuFu Offline
OP!!! Sorry! Lol, this download thingy is still something I'm getting used to. I'm not used to there being a download link in the thread on the side like that, so I keep glancing right past it. Sry sry sry Smile

12-18-2010 03:27 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(12-18-2010 03:22 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote:  lol, yeah, I still didn't realize it though. Guess I just overlooked it or something. So LeeFish has the link to the stable release? Or? Shouldn't that be on this site anywhere? because I looked for it and couldn't find it. I'll just stick with the version I got and wait until the next release comes out. Smile

Maybe it is my mistake to not put the XThreads official release thread link in each example XThreads applications. I'm really sorry for that.

Here is the official XThreads released thread:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=288

EDIT:
Oops. Lee already put the screenshot Biggrin
Thanks, Lee Smile

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 03:30 AM by RateU.)
12-18-2010 03:29 AM
MasterZuFu Offline
(12-18-2010 03:29 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(12-18-2010 03:22 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote:  lol, yeah, I still didn't realize it though. Guess I just overlooked it or something. So LeeFish has the link to the stable release? Or? Shouldn't that be on this site anywhere? because I looked for it and couldn't find it. I'll just stick with the version I got and wait until the next release comes out. Smile

Maybe it is my mistake to not put the XThreads official release thread link in each example XThreads applications. I'm really sorry for that.

Here is the official XThreads released thread:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=288

EDIT:
Oops. Lee already put the screenshot Biggrin
Thanks, Lee Smile

No no no! Don't blame yourself, I overlooked the link, I should have been looking and reading more closely what I'm doing. Besides, it's MY website, and what I install is up to me and it's my responsibility. I apologize for the confusion Smile I should have just read the release information more closely and I would've saw the download link Tongue
(12-18-2010 03:23 AM)leefish Wrote:  ......................................

[Image: 5ebga8.jpg]

LOL!!! Thanks Lee XD hahahaha, that made me laugh out loud for real hahaha XD. It's just, that's not so obvious for me, it's the same color as the rest of the thread and my eyes don't depict it as being any different from the rest of the post, so I glance right past it. It looks more like some kind of ad for me. I have to keep reminding myself to look specifically in that spot XD Thanks!

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 03:33 AM by MasterZuFu.)
12-18-2010 03:31 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools