Is there any PHP (+ xml?) equivalent (or similar) for this awesome .net library?
Firefox Wins Offline
Is there any PHP (+ xml?) equivalent (or similar) for this awesome .net library?
"SSE is an XML micro-format and corresponding sync algorithm that can be embedded in RSS or Atom feeds to allow for two-way synchronization among peers. More important: the algorithm allows for mesh-style synchronization between nodes, with no concept of a "master" copy. This can be game-changing for data-exchange and app-level data interop. But only the future will tell..."

Simple Sharing Extensions (SSE) for .NET
http://sse.codeplex.com/
^^^

What I'm looking for does *not* even need any RSS/Atom/xml; I'm interested in the two-way sync with no concept of a "master" copy.
  • Has anyone ever seen a way to do that with PHP?
Thank you.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 01:38 PM by Firefox Wins.)
09-16-2010 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Is there any PHP (+ xml?) equivalent (or similar) for this awesome .net library?
It's just a protocol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Sharing_Extensions

It doesn't do anything in itself, you need to put it in context of an application.  The link you provided is just a library interface.  Google will tell if there's a PHP interface or not.

My Blog
09-16-2010 02:17 PM
Firefox Wins Offline
RE: Is there any PHP (+ xml?) equivalent (or similar) for this awesome .net library?
The newer version is called FeedSync and so far nothing found for php:
"The FeedSync Service is an ASP.NET and C# based sample application that provides the following..."

This is the best part:
  • ...two-way sync with no concept of a "master" copy.
Google doesn't always help, so if you ever see anything in php which tackles this exact subject, please, update here.
Thanks again Zinga

edit:
Found something for all of these:
Java, .NET, C, Ruby
but not php
http://code.google.com/p/mesh4x/

edit#2:
(09-16-2010 02:17 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...Google will tell if there's a PHP interface or not.

You were correct, just the exact search term was a challenge:
  • The PHPFeedSync project aims to be a complete PHP implementation of the FeedSync protocol  Smile
http://phpfeedsync.codeplex.com/

edit#3:
Only Atom is supported in the current release...   Frown

Still looking to do this using PHP and (almost any) type of data format:
Quote:This is the best part:
  • ...two-way sync with no concept of a "master" copy.
Google doesn't always help, so if you ever see anything in php which tackles this exact subject, please, update here.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 03:17 PM by Firefox Wins.)
09-16-2010 02:47 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Well you got your answer.

I seriously don't know why you want this though.  It's not popular or widely used, so mostly useless.
You seem to be highlighting the decentralised part a bit, and I don't think you fully understand what it really means...

If you just want to aggregate feeds for any particular purpose, you need to understand that each feed source needs to be using this, and I don't actually know any which do (that I'm aware of at least).  Otherwise, this doesn't work.

My Blog
09-16-2010 03:33 PM
Firefox Wins Offline
(09-16-2010 01:35 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  ...This can be game-changing for data-exchange and app-level data interop...

...What I'm looking for does *not* even need any RSS/Atom/xml; I'm interested in the two-way sync with no concept of a "master" copy.
  • Has anyone ever seen a way to do that with PHP?
Thank you.

Thanks for trying to answer, Zinga:

(09-16-2010 03:33 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...You seem to be highlighting the decentralised part a bit, and I don't think you fully understand what it really means...

True two-way sync with no concept of a "master" copy, is (both) error-prone, and valuable + powerful, if done properly.
I do understand well enough to know I want to learn more.  Tongue
09-20-2010 11:54 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Yes, it's error prone, certainly, but I fail to understand how it's really powerful, especially if it's not used.
The protocol is decentralised, but implementations will largely be based around centralisation.

My Blog
09-20-2010 12:03 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools