Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
 XThreads Feature
leefish Offline
Hamster
RE: XThreads Feature
These are all looking awesome and I would really like to have them, but I am unsure how to go about installing the features from github.

@ZiNgA BuRgA - is there a planned update coming up? I *can* go and work out how to get all the github features but if there is an update coming from here then I would prefer that.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
10-27-2010 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I'm trying to push out 1.33 soon, though I'm still thinking of a few things.  I'm planning to do some refactorings as the code base is starting to grow a bit big, but I'm unsure of whether I'll do it for 1.33.
I don't suggest using the version on a production forum from the Git repository because of a number of reasons:
- I rarely test changes
- I roll out incremental changes to the upgrader (so if you try to update a live forum, it might not update everything properly)
- Difficult for me to track bugs (since I don't always know which revision you tried out)

There's a download button which you can use to download a package on Github (I think it's in a .tar.gz file), or you can retrieve the files using Git (git clone command on Unix/Linux, or you can try TortoiseGit or SmartGit on Windows).
Please only install development versions in a testing environment.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010 01:03 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
10-27-2010 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techu Offline
It wold be nice if you can consider another feature. Ability to export and import xthread settings such as custom thread field and templates for a particular forum.

[Image: banner.png]
10-29-2010 12:15 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I've thought of something similar before, but more in an attachable plugin sense.
I'm going to hold off the idea for a while though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

My Blog
10-29-2010 03:53 PM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(10-29-2010 03:53 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I've thought of something similar before, but more in an attachable plugin sense.

Could you give us more info about it, Yumi?

10-30-2010 07:13 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Haven't really thought much about it, but probably similar to how a MyBB plugin works, with some additional API functions.
eg

PHP Code:
function thing_activate() {
global heaps_of_stuff;
// add new templates
$new_template = 'hehehehe';
$db->insert_query('templates', array( whatever ));

// add new threadfields
xthreads_add_threadfield(array(
something
));

// add new forums
$db->insert_query('forums', array(
bleh
));
$cache->update_forums();
}

function thing_deactivate() {
reverse all the above
}

// add custom functionality here

It may be just implemented as a MyBB plugin like the above for being inline with what MyBB does.
Could be more elaborate maybe, but as most people at MyBB aren't terribly intelligent, I'll probably won't do that.

Could also be just an XML file, eg:

XML Code
<?xml blah blah?>
<xtaddon>
 <forums>
  <forum name="" xthreads_grouping="2" />
 </forums>
 <threadfields>
  <threadfield name="" key="awesomesauce" />
 </threadfields>
 <pluginhooks>
  <hook name="global_end"><![CDATA[
   $header = 'I pwn';
  ]]></hook>
 </pluginhooks>
</xtaddon>

I dunno.

Anyway, I've decided to hold it off because currently I don't really want idiots using XThreads.

My Blog
10-30-2010 08:54 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
Ah, yes. So, when this is implemented later, XThreads application author can decide whether they want to provide the application as a plugin or as a "tutorial".

10-31-2010 05:32 AM
techu Offline
(10-29-2010 03:53 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I've thought of something similar before, but more in an attachable plugin sense.
I'm going to hold off the idea for a while though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Making it a  attachable plugin type will make it more complex to write. I was suggesting something like import and export type so that everyone(who does not know php but html/css) can import setting and use it on other forums..

[Image: banner.png]
10-31-2010 12:18 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
There's nothing stopping a script from exporting anything as a script...

My Blog
10-31-2010 01:38 PM
leefish Offline
Hamster
Quote:Making it a  attachable plugin type will make it more complex to write. I was suggesting something like import and export type so that everyone(who does not know php but html/css) can import setting and use it on other forums..

Well, now I'm getting a bit confused..... I thought the idea was to have an export/import custom thread fields (a bit like the custom pages mods we see) - and the templates to be uploaded similar to the way we upload themes. That way we can develop on a test system and quickly move all the info across to a live system.

I do see that that can mean that we will have requests to modify this that and the other in our "plugins" (aka our templates & custom thread fields settings for a particular setup) - when really 90% of the time its a case of looking at the HTML/css and adapting it.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
10-31-2010 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools