Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
 How do I create a simple form and use prefixes?
groovybluedog Offline
How do I create a simple form and use prefixes?
I'm a first timer at this, and frankly the amount of options blew my away that I actually had to leave the computer and make a cup of tea.

I have read around and still do not understand how 99% of it works including prefixes.

So the question: how do I (keep it basic please Tongue) create a simple form when a user creates a thread in a specific forum, and can I remove the actual thread message box so it's only the title and the fields?

Then of course, what's the easiest way to use the prefixes?

Thanks

Lew
06-22-2016 05:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: How do I create a simple form and use prefixes?
You need a strong grasp of how the MyBB template system works.  If you don't, XThreads will be very painful to use.

The basic idea is to create the custom fields (should be able to find it in the Admin CP), then remove the post input box from the relevant templates.  But since templates are usually global, removing it from the templates will affect the entire forum.  To avoid this situation, you duplicate the template and point one forum to use this custom template.

I suggest working through some of the examples.  It'll help you get an idea of how it all works.

My Blog
06-22-2016 05:40 PM
groovybluedog Offline
(06-22-2016 05:40 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  You need a strong grasp of how the MyBB template system works.  If you don't, XThreads will be very painful to use.

The basic idea is to create the custom fields (should be able to find it in the Admin CP), then remove the post input box from the relevant templates.  But since templates are usually global, removing it from the templates will affect the entire forum.  To avoid this situation, you duplicate the template and point one forum to use this custom template.

I suggest working through some of the examples.  It'll help you get an idea of how it all works.

Thanks for you reply! I have a reasonable grasp of the template system which is growing day by day. When I don't know, I normally poke around myself until I find things out, and on the few occasions where I have had to ask MyBB for support, I always ensure I understand their solution so I can learn for myself.

And at the end of the day if I don't try out difficult things like this, I'll never learn, right? I need a challenge so this is perfect!

Thankfully I reasonably understand what you mean, and I could duplicate the template fine, I cannot see anywhere in the settings when editing a board, where I can set that board to use a separate template. Is it hidden under another title or am I just blind?

However what is more pressing is how my custom field has set the format of my theme completely off, please see the screenshot:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-23-2016 04:54 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-23-2016 04:54 AM)groovybluedog Wrote:  Thankfully I reasonably understand what you mean, and I could duplicate the template fine, I cannot see anywhere in the settings when editing a board, where I can set that board to use a separate template. Is it hidden under another title or am I just blind?
There's a template prefix option when you edit a forum.

(06-23-2016 04:54 AM)groovybluedog Wrote:  However what is more pressing is how my custom field has set the format of my theme completely off, please see the screenshot:
You'll need to resolve HTML issues yourself, as I won't help you with these.
Again, you should have strong knowledge of the templates system (along with HTML/CSS).

My Blog
06-23-2016 10:02 AM
groovybluedog Offline
(06-23-2016 10:02 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  
(06-23-2016 04:54 AM)groovybluedog Wrote:  Thankfully I reasonably understand what you mean, and I could duplicate the template fine, I cannot see anywhere in the settings when editing a board, where I can set that board to use a separate template. Is it hidden under another title or am I just blind?
There's a template prefix option when you edit a forum.

(06-23-2016 04:54 AM)groovybluedog Wrote:  However what is more pressing is how my custom field has set the format of my theme completely off, please see the screenshot:
You'll need to resolve HTML issues yourself, as I won't help you with these.
Again, you should have strong knowledge of the templates system (along with HTML/CSS).

Hmm okay I'll take another look at that then, I couldn't see one so I must of scrolled right past it!

Ah that's a shame, hopefully another user is willing to help a bit or alternatively the MyBB forums.

I am aware I should have strong knowledge but I will not learn if I do not challenge myself. For some of us it's not as easy as just looking at some code and understanding every programming language in 10 minutes... I wish it was!

Thanks anyway...
06-23-2016 03:46 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Or, you know, you could just Google "HTML Tutorial" - it really isn't that hard.  Doesn't sound like you're challenging yourself enough from what I can tell.

My Blog
06-24-2016 09:53 AM
groovybluedog Offline
(06-24-2016 09:53 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Or, you know, you could just Google "HTML Tutorial" - it really isn't that hard.  Doesn't sound like you're challenging yourself enough from what I can tell.

I'm not an idiot thanks... I have solved plenty of complex problems with MyBB on my own by simply playing about. It doesn't seem like you have any respect for other people's abilities. What you may find easy might not be so easy to someone else.
06-29-2016 03:35 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(06-29-2016 03:35 PM)groovybluedog Wrote:  It doesn't seem like you have any respect for other people's abilities.
Unless you're spectacular, then no, I don't.
I wish you luck with your endeavor.

My Blog
06-30-2016 09:59 AM
groovybluedog Offline
Okay so I put {$threadfields_display} in to the postbit_first I created and it doesn't seem to want to appear at all - I am trying to get it to show inside the thread content itself. The individual field's key works fine, but not the {$threadfields_display}. Am I missing something or is this intentional behaviour? Tried this in the default theme without luck too.
07-07-2016 12:35 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Try {$GLOBALS['threadfields_display']} instead.

My Blog
07-08-2016 02:38 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools