Using A Plugin Or Template Edit
RateU Offline
Administrator
Using A Plugin Or Template Edit
If there is a plugin that do a simple thing, and actually we can do that with a simple template edit, which one do you prefer? Using a plugin or edit your template?

11-30-2010 04:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
leefish Offline
Hamster
RE: Using A Plugin Or Template Edit
Now thats a tough one - I think it varies based on what the plug in IS. I don't really like editing templates, but then I don't want a plugins list full of tiny plugins. So if its a quick thing - and one I am likely to keep - and only requires editing ONE template rather than a chain of templates -  it then I would go for the template edit. If it was several templates that needed changing I would go for the plugin.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
11-30-2010 05:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Imran Offline
I'll prefer to edit template myself rather to use a plugin. However, editing templates through plugins are quite easy IMO.

[Image: logo.png]

[Image: twitter.png]
11-30-2010 05:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1master1 Offline
plugins add overhead to the server and may cause problems if they are not correctly installed while replacing template files and all.
i would better edit the core files once though it looks messy Biggrin
11-30-2010 06:02 AM
Skiilz Offline
Edit my template. Plugins like 1master1 add overhead.

[Image: 468x602b.png]
11-30-2010 08:00 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Edit templates:
- no plugin overhead
- you're in control, so if a template edit doesn't work (conflicting in some way), you'll know what to do (as opposed to a plugin, which will just ignore it and continue)
- MyBB's find_replace_templatesets function, used by plugins to edit templates, is dodgy + I tend to edit into the global templateset so that it applies to all themes

Disadvantages:
- more manual work
- no automatic "uninstall" (however, as find_replace_templatesets is dodgy, uninstalls rarely work the way I envisage them to)

My Blog
11-30-2010 08:38 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
I think, when dealing with template, actually, we are "learning" something from it.

12-01-2010 02:35 AM
Imran Offline
(12-01-2010 02:35 AM)RateU Wrote:  I think, when dealing with template, actually, we are "learning" something from it.

+1 Smile

[Image: logo.png]

[Image: twitter.png]
12-01-2010 03:49 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools