IPv4 Countdown
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
IPv4 Countdown
http://twitter.com/IPv4Countdown
Less than ~1 day before IPv4 is fully allocated, and free IPv4 addresses are expected to run out around July this year.

At this point, pretty much no-one uses IPv6 - the only true (intended) solution to the problem.  Google is attempting an IPv6 day, but I'm doubting it'll get much traction outside the geek community.

So what do you think will happen?

(post somewhat inspired by this talk from linux.conf.au)

My Blog
02-01-2011 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Firefox Wins Offline
RE: IPv4 Countdown
Does IPv6 have (for example) 'extra features', options, speed, or any good reason to use it if your are already set-up w/ IPv4?

EDIT:

Found this...
Quote:IPv6 implements additional new features not present in IPv4. It simplifies aspects of address assignment (stateless address autoconfiguration) and network renumbering (prefix and router announcements) when changing Internet connectivity providers. The IPv6 subnet size has been standardized by fixing the size of the host identifier portion of an address to 64 bits to facilitate an automatic mechanism for forming the host identifier from link layer media addressing information (MAC address). Network security is also integrated into the design of the IPv6 architecture, and the IPv6 specification mandates support for IPsec as a fundamental interoperability requirement...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Still not sure about any rush to use it.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 08:37 PM by Firefox Wins.)
02-01-2011 08:33 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: IPv4 Countdown
(02-01-2011 08:33 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  Does IPv6 have (for example) 'extra features', options, speed, or any good reason to use it if your are already set-up w/ IPv4?
Not really, no, which is possibly a reason why no-one uses it.

My Blog
02-01-2011 09:45 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools