Forking MyBB?
Lich_king2 Offline
Forking MyBB?
Would you like to start a fork based on MyBB?
What could this mean for us? Centralized downloads, no more shady plugins, new features, a lot of users joining the new system, no jerks on support team or plugin author jerks. Just a note, if you even want to start a fork of MyBB don't allow to have any relationship with hacking forums like MyBB does.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
02-09-2011 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MasterZuFu Offline
RE: Forking MyBB?
The support alone required for a forked MyBB would be huge, and require a lot of work. If you want to head it up, um...ok, but the way I see it, it'd be better if you just took the mybb that already exists and gave a modified version of it, rather than fork a new one. This way we'd only be responsible for the changes Wink at least until there was a larger member base and support team

02-09-2011 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(02-09-2011 09:02 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote:  The support alone required for a forked MyBB would be huge, and require a lot of work.
It doesn't have to be supported...

(02-09-2011 09:02 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote:  it'd be better if you just took the mybb that already exists and gave a modified version of it
Isn't that essentially what a fork is?

My Blog
02-09-2011 10:09 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
(02-09-2011 09:02 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote:  The support alone required for a forked MyBB would be huge, and require a lot of work.
Most open source scripts on start, don't need support huge as MyBB currently has.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
02-09-2011 05:59 PM
techu Offline
If anyone decide to fork it.
I Can help in new design, templates and stuff...

[Image: banner.png]
02-09-2011 07:06 PM
Lich_king2 Offline
The reason for opening this thread isn't just that I'm sick of management behind it but as well on some of the MyBB specific code designs. Some of the code is pretty much outdated, plus using Prototype doesn't give me a lot of confidence due to being almost less and less used in products. Also I agree that themes need to be simple, but for God's sake how can changing few colors make it a new theme? Variation yes, but not a new theme. Plus I'm still wondering what the hell was someone thinking when designing quoting system.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
02-09-2011 08:33 PM
techu Offline
I personally prefer jquery over prototype but replacing prototype from mybb atm is a lot of work. zinga made a nice plugin to hide those dateline and other crap from quote tag... http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=274

If you dont like mybb codes then why not develop your own script?!

[Image: banner.png]
02-09-2011 08:42 PM
MattR Offline
(02-09-2011 08:33 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  using Prototype doesn't give me a lot of confidence due to being almost less and less used in products.

I think that's because when 1.4 was being developed, jQuery wasn't as popular as it is now, and prototype was more popular then than it is now. To rewrite all the javascript when it became apparant jQuery was going to end up being more popular would just have delayed the release.

(02-09-2011 08:33 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Plus I'm still wondering what the hell was someone thinking when designing quoting system.

What's wrong with it??
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 04:50 AM by MattR.)
02-10-2011 04:48 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
MattR Wrote:What's wrong with it??
This.

Code:
[quote='Joe' pid='13892' dateline='1239871234987' some_other_crap='98j2983j4ad']

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
02-11-2011 07:16 PM
MattR Offline
But when you quote a post it fills all that stuff in for you, and if you manually type the quote tag, you're usually not going to type a PID and dateline, most users don't know how to get that information (especially the dateline), you'll just type a username, if that. If it was this:

Code:
[quote=Joe;13892;1239871234987]

Yeah, the syntax is much clearer, but it won't necessarily make it much easier for people to use as they're not going to put a PID or dateline in anyway. I don't think there's been any people (not loads anyway) saying they or their users don't understand the quote tag.

Saying that, the other features added by Yumi's quote tag plugin are cool, but if it's just a matter of changing the syntax, for most people it's not going to make much difference as they usually only use the standard [quote] tag on it's own if they type it manually.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 08:52 PM by MattR.)
02-11-2011 08:29 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools