Anyone interested in forking mybb?
techu Offline
Anyone interested in forking mybb?
Mybb is a good software and have a lot of potential. But i think that it lacks few features compared to other forum softwares available. I think everyone will accept that now a days people like social integration and etc in all script...

So what you guys think?

[Image: banner.png]
02-28-2011 04:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
leefish Offline
Hamster
RE: Anyone interested in forking mybb?
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=725  

Similar thread - maybe you and him could get together?

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
02-28-2011 05:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techu Offline
Nah,it`s seems like he got lots of issues  with mybb, mybbteam, etc.

02-28-2011 01:05 PM
Lich_king2 Offline
The main issue I have is that MyBB is led by irresponsible people. Sorry, kids shouldn't provide support or have anything to do with any serious board development. Their interest changes so they can never be consistent on the things they do. There aren't a lot of issues with MyBB itself, more with people behind it. Also why would you care about them if you are starting software fork? Not like they are going to provide you help or something. The sooner you learn that the community is the main minus of this software, the better you understand the loads of issues with MyBB.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 05:18 AM by Lich_king2.)
03-01-2011 05:16 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
(03-01-2011 05:16 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  The main issue I have is that MyBB is led by irresponsible people. Sorry, kids shouldn't provide support or have anything to do with any serious board development.

Hmm, that does seem a bit harsh. Tom Moore is the lead developer on MYBB and he is 24 years old. Hardly a kid.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
03-01-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techu Offline
(03-01-2011 05:16 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  The main issue I have is that MyBB is led by irresponsible people. Sorry, kids shouldn't provide support or have anything to do with any serious board development. Their interest changes so they can never be consistent on the things they do. There aren't a lot of issues with MyBB itself, more with people behind it. Also why would you care about them if you are starting software fork? Not like they are going to provide you help or something. The sooner you learn that the community is the main minus of this software, the better you understand the loads of issues with MyBB.

Chris Boulton, Tom Moore, Huji lee.... they are all adults. Some members of the team are kids but only by age. Moreover most of the code of this awesome software are written by a so called kid, so respect them....

03-01-2011 12:44 PM
envira Offline
well,as days are advancing,more open scripts are making their new path into web,there should be a new feature integrated in mybb,
just see vanilla forums,it has an inbuilt networking though light weight,really males it applausible.

so i too recommend a jquery based,forum networking,in version 2.0

days are not as same as earlier,see changes for example from windows xp to windows 7.......

similarly,we need some changes in themes too,all themes out in mybb.com are outdated designs,
if we want to go for premium themes,they too are taking the same path.

see these premium themes......
smf: http://demo.dzinerstudio.com/

phpbb: http://demo.rockettheme.com/

mybb needs something more than these,new themes,more professional outlooks,an inbuilt network and more......

these days networking is more preferred,and you can see the visitors,they spend more time in a network rather than in a forum.

so time to change,and the change should be "new"
03-02-2011 12:29 AM
techu Offline
(03-02-2011 12:29 AM)envira Wrote:  well,as days are advancing,more open scripts are making their new path into web,there should be a new feature integrated in mybb,
just see vanilla forums,it has an inbuilt networking though light weight,really males it applausible.

so i too recommend a jquery based,forum networking,in version 2.0

days are not as same as earlier,see changes for example from windows xp to windows 7.......

similarly,we need some changes in themes too,all themes out in mybb.com are outdated designs,
if we want to go for premium themes,they too are taking the same path.

see these premium themes......
smf: http://demo.dzinerstudio.com/

phpbb: http://demo.rockettheme.com/

mybb needs something more than these,new themes,more professional outlooks,an inbuilt network and more......

these days networking is more preferred,and you can see the visitors,they spend more time in a network rather than in a forum.

so time to change,and the change should be "new"

I also think mybb needs facelift. I think mybb`s profile needs to be overhauled, the profile is too simple. Moreover I do not like the buddy system either....
The portal is also kind of useless and I do not think not many people use it, profile also needs to an update.

03-02-2011 12:55 AM
envira Offline
(03-02-2011 12:55 AM)techu Wrote:  I also think mybb needs facelift. I think mybb`s profile needs to be overhauled, the profile is too simple. Moreover I do not like the buddy system either....
The portal is also kind of useless and I do not think not many people use it, profile also needs to an update.

yeah i do agree with you,the profile system should be made more ease.
When i started my college discussion forum,i was excited,that i can get lot of nice stuff,posted by my members,as i like mybb pretty much.

Although it runs smoothly,with nice traffic,it didnt attracted many,due to the main reason,that they found it dull,and they cant share any thing like as they do in social networking.

i dont say that i want to add a social network to myb,but the present day users mindset at the end of day is like,they want something more than a forum discussions.

Anyway,the profile system needs to be developed,and thanks to Tomm of XEKKO,who is really working hard to make the plugin called "MY NETWORK"
its gonna be a big surplus for mybb,as its being a free release.

So in version 2 we really suggest the need of so called Forum networking.

i think we should start a thread in mybb.com so it would be considered if all of you post the suggestion for a network there in that site.

thank you
03-02-2011 02:02 AM
techu Offline
I like "MY NETWORK" profile but I really do not think that mybb needs another plugin interface. I would have liked it more if the profile system was a standalone plugin...

03-02-2011 02:51 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools