Anyone interested in forking mybb?
envira Offline
RE: Anyone interested in forking mybb?
Yeah ghe basic idea behind my network is profile,making profiles with ajax based platform,according to Tomm,by end of march there would be a profile comment system and status update system.
If they are added that would be a good assert for mybb.

Also anoter note i tried a lot to integrate mybb wifh joomla and other platforms,
Succeded integrating with joomla....
But no support is provided for the plugin from mybb dev,please do help in making MYBB a platform that is unique amd used in many cms based networks for their forums.
Although i am not a coder or any sort of techie,me being a doctor by profession ,i am really trying hard to make changes to the default.
And i really say. Mybb has many young talents,and this is the right time to make changes to fhe same old boring discussion boards,
I think chinese are a bit advanced in providing best opeb source scripts namely Discuz,which is pretty much more than a forum......
I hope Mybb considers this and make changes accordingly,

Thank you all
If any mistakes or offence pardon me,
Regards,
Envira
03-02-2011 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RateU Offline
Administrator
(03-02-2011 02:51 AM)techu Wrote:  I like "MY NETWORK" profile but I really do not think that mybb needs another plugin interface. I would have liked it more if the profile system was a standalone plugin...

I'm sorry. I never use My Network. But I think it is a plugin?
I'm sorry if I've misunderstood what you mean, Techu Biggrin

03-02-2011 06:21 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
I use MyNetwork, and its a plugin that makes its own framework. If you see what I mean. Instead of working like "normal" plugins  it creates modules within the MyNetwork framework which can be switched on or off independently.

Its an interesting idea, but I think wait for the 1.1 version of MyNetwork as Tomm has made some changes to the system - the main one being that the My Network templates are not queried on every page.

On the profile system? I think it will be stunning when it is finished and will do for the profile system what XThreads has done for threads.

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
03-02-2011 07:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techu Offline
(03-02-2011 06:21 AM)RateU Wrote:  
(03-02-2011 02:51 AM)techu Wrote:  I like "MY NETWORK" profile but I really do not think that mybb needs another plugin interface. I would have liked it more if the profile system was a standalone plugin...

I'm sorry. I never use My Network. But I think it is a plugin?
I'm sorry if I've misunderstood what you mean, Techu Biggrin

leefish explained it quiet well.Jap It is a framework on which we can load other modules like mynetwork profile, username tagging and etc...

[Image: banner.png]
03-02-2011 12:38 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
From what I've seen, it looks like it basically duplicates the plugin system.

My Blog
03-02-2011 12:55 PM
envira Offline
thanks leefish for the info on mynetwork

But this is all a plugin,and we want some thing more than a forum from mybb.
1.enhanced profiles within core system of mybb,with an activity page whefe users can comment others updates,just not loke facebook but similar to Vanilla forums.
I really appreciate version 2 of vanilla where the activity page is really boosting up the forum rating in forum-software.org

2.integrating mybb into othee cms or network based softwares is really a requirement.
I tried jfusion but it worked and upto some aspects....
Jfusion plugin is nearly abandoned in its development from mybb,which is really pathetic....for a forum software that was awarded as best forum software in 2010...
We really need this so we can see morr mybb"s in large sites.
Really these are a must in version 2 of mybb,.

Adding a networking feature really attracts many members to spend time in forum networks....and it also improves the web masters adverts and easy money jn making.

Hope you consider these all,we can go to a vb/ipb for all these but after all when best us available for free there is no need. To run after the paid ones....

If you want to pay just donate to MYBB and that money helps a lot of young newbies and fresh developers ,who inturn helps by showung more interest in this best script MYBB

I happened to be a medico or else i would hve been in this work of making these into sheer realty.....

Thank you,
Any mistakes please pardon....

Regards,
Dr.envira
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2011 08:41 PM by envira.)
03-02-2011 08:38 PM
leefish Offline
Hamster
I like the MYBB plugin concept. Its a good way to offer scaleability. Sometimes you don't want or need a load of bells and whistles and making things optional is better imo. If it was called "additional module" and not plugin would that sound better? XThreads and MyNetwork and the Game Section and the WIKI and MyShowcase are really Modules to enhance the core MYBB, whereas a little script to add a line to some templates or something is just that - a plugin.

Anyway, the point of the thread was to fork mybb. Well, I am not capable of helping even if I thought it was a good idea.

MYBB1.6 & XThreads
03-02-2011 11:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
envira Offline
Yea leefish first of all thank you for considering this,
I really agree that there should not be a plugin but a module/application...for a network.
This can be used accordingly who ever needs it,
But then i think mybb team is not at all interested in making this a realty,they wanted a forum to be only forum and not more.
But for some like us wanted some more from mybb as it is the easy to use forum software.
i think some one may look into this seriously,and so we can have the best module available.
May be my network itself has lots of development,but all that needed st end of day is  forum networking and this will be noticed a few years later.

Thanks all
03-03-2011 03:22 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
As I said, don't expect me to respect a kid. Also only irresponsible adult not interested in the project at all leaves it in the hand of kids. MyBB needs to be fork. If the fork corrects everything MyBB did wrong, MyBB is technically dead. If we need to see MyBB dead to have even better software which encourages different ideas and development decisions, then why not. What some here aren't realizing is that MyBB is the new OS/2. Once it got forked and made as Windows everyone forgot about it. *I'm not saying that MS products are great, but they aren't that bad either. Let us hope we get to see innovation soon. The sooner it happens the user will have better choice. MyBB looks a lot like close society. They need to get out from it and see that their "innovations" are outdated, and some of them aren't money worth. Smile
Also the profile system is rather dull. Buddy system isn't useful at all. Also Prototype must go out.

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 04:47 AM by Lich_king2.)
03-03-2011 04:39 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
(03-03-2011 04:39 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  .... and some of them aren't money worth. Smile

Its free software.

(03-03-2011 04:39 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Also the profile system is rather dull. Buddy system isn't useful at all. Also Prototype must go out.

all earmarked for MYBB 2.0.

When will that be - I don't know. Will your fork be out before it?

MYBB1.6 & XThreads
03-03-2011 05:22 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools