Anyone interested in forking mybb?
envira Offline
RE: Anyone interested in forking mybb?
(03-03-2011 04:39 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Also the profile system is rather dull. Buddy system isn't useful at all. Also Prototype must go out.

yeah agreed Mr.lich king with the profiles thing,

but in here the main thing that keeps running in my mind is " the best forum software of 2010" mybb,is really not making any progress in giving a new profile system and an integration component to any other cms or network based softwares.

this is making mybb,something similiar to a my boring board.

sorry to say this,but yeah,guys its web 2.0,things really need some changes.

have a look at this : click me

this is one free open software called discuz,that is actually chinese,its reallly simple in structure but if u install it and use,you can find the difference.you will throw away your paid xenforo license if you see it.

the best thing is it is free and open source......so

it has a networking,forums,blogs,groups,cms and more....and it is considered the core as a forum first and the other modules are only added to this to make the software bulky.
.this helps a lot of traffic to be drawn towards your site and,makes the users have more fun in site and they really enjoy the site.

i want mybb,to be the first to implement such system in being open source.
if my site succeeds,i would really donate for mybb,regarding this thing,than throwing money for a paaid license for some software.......

any offence and any mistakes pllzz pardon, as i type this from my iphone.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 06:23 AM by envira.)
03-03-2011 06:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lich_king2 Offline
(03-03-2011 05:22 AM)leefish Wrote:  
(03-03-2011 04:39 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  .... and some of them aren't money worth. Smile

Its free software.

(03-03-2011 04:39 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  Also the profile system is rather dull. Buddy system isn't useful at all. Also Prototype must go out.

all earmarked for MYBB 2.0.

When will that be - I don't know. Will your fork be out before it?
I'm an application developer currently. I can provide help with some things here and there but I'm not full fledged PHP developer. Plus I'm currently building open source Steam alternative service called Vapor, along with Desura and other services. After that project I may reconsider to restart the work on the fork. (The only work done was, lighter theme, tabbed profiles, and jquery, before I returned to my software development.) Currently I'm busy with this project, but if I get time, and in case I can't dedicate myself fully to the fork, I'm eager to help anyone that may decide to fork this project on other stuff, support and some bug fixes. As I said nothing is set in stone and it still depends if everything will go as planned.
Envira: Yeah I used English Discuz! and it was actually awesome. I was impressed what was included in forum package. Unbelievable good software, which with full English support could be great!

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 06:39 AM by Lich_king2.)
03-03-2011 06:35 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
Related to the profile page, if MyBB or whatever it is really want to do something for this, personally, I prefer it as a tools, not as a ready to use or a fixed "application". Because I think each forums has its own purposes and its own specific areas.

03-03-2011 07:44 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(03-02-2011 08:38 PM)envira Wrote:  If you want to pay just donate to MYBB and that money helps a lot of young newbies and fresh developers ,who inturn helps by showung more interest in this best script MYBB
0% of your donations goes to the developers.
Your donations go to:
  • fund the overly excessive fees they pay for hosting
  • stuff like acquiring the mybb.com domain name, which, if you ask MyBB staff, magically makes the product many times more attractive (perhaps by reducing the code size by a few bytes)

Despite what they may say about development, actions speak louder than words, and as you can see, practically no money goes into actually improving the product itself (I say practically because I believe they did pay for an external security audit, but that's the only instance that I know of).
In other words, the money you put in doesn't improve the product one bit.

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 09:59 AM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
03-03-2011 09:58 AM
Vapor Offline
I would love to see mybb forked! (sorry to be late to the party)

If this is still an idea, please let me know as I am REALLY interested ! ! !

D3G Gaming Team - http://d3g.in

[Image: vapor_sig.png]
02-20-2012 01:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools