Desktop Programming Language
RateU Offline
Administrator
Desktop Programming Language
In your opinion, what is the easiest programming language to be learned if we want to program a desktop application (Windows)?
And what DBMS should be use for this?

05-02-2011 07:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
RE: Desktop Programming Language
I haven't really used either, but probably VB .NET or C# .NET - at least, those are fairly widely used.

Usually you don't really use a DBMS for many desktop applications (usually lack of a server), though if your application requires one you could use something like sqlite (Firefox, for example, uses sqlite).  IDK if there's .NET libraries to use sqlite - probably is though.

My Blog
05-02-2011 09:16 AM
Firefox Wins Offline
(Windows) Cxp the easiest?

AutoHotkey (AHK)  
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm
FYI: Not just macros, a 'complete' programming language.
05-03-2011 02:22 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
^ From what I understand, it's somewhat quite limited in scope.  It's great for what it's designed for, but you'll find limited libraries/APIs compatible with it.  Also, it seems that creating a GUI is somewhat cumbersome, being only text (Visual Studio should be able to let you graphically design forms).

I probably wouldn't consider it that much simpler either...

My Blog
05-03-2011 08:00 PM
RateU Offline
Administrator
I've seen people creating a program using a software called Visual Basic (I don't know whether it is what you meant by the VB.NET, Yumi?). He can create user interface like window, form and menu very quickly. The objects already available. He only need to "draw" it?

05-04-2011 03:02 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
That's the "visual" aspect I guess.  Yes, forms can be designed visually, but you'll still need to assign underlying code (eg, what happens when a button is clicked).
Visual Basic often refers to either VB6 or VB.NET.  The former is somewhat outdated (latest compiler was released in around 1998) and "replaced" by VB.NET, however, some applications such as VBA (MS Office macros) use VB6.
I do a lot of VB6 coding myself and I'd recommend staying away from it personally.  VB.NET is more with the times.  And since it's similar to C# .NET, you might be more familiar with the syntax of the latter.

My Blog
05-04-2011 08:45 AM
Firefox Wins Offline
FYI: In case you are (or anyone else is) interested:

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I probably wouldn't consider it that much simpler either...

I have no experience with VB yet (except for a little VBA); I'll admit assuming AHK is much easier.
Simple example:

Code:
ButtonGo_ZBHacks:
Run, http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com
Return

Tongue

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ^ From what I understand, it's somewhat quite limited in scope....

Do you know the newer version is object oriented? Including Custom Objects - Prototypes, Classes, Construction and Destruction, Meta-Functions

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...Also, it seems that creating a GUI is somewhat cumbersome..

SmartGUI Creator 4.0

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...It's great for what it's designed for...

Agreed Zinga, plus (as shown above) it has also evolved some the last couple years.
AHK can be a good starting point for newbies first programs.

Lifehacker tends to have some decent ahk scripts too.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 01:36 PM by Firefox Wins.)
05-04-2011 01:35 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
(05-04-2011 01:35 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  I have no experience with VB yet (except for a little VBA); I'll admit assuming AHK is much easier.
Simple example:

Code:
ButtonGo_ZBHacks:
Run, http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com
Return

Tongue

Ultimately just a function call.  In most languages, you could just:

C Code
ShellExec("http://example.com/");

(05-04-2011 01:35 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  
(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ^ From what I understand, it's somewhat quite limited in scope....

Do you know the newer version is object oriented? Including Custom Objects - Prototypes, Classes, Construction and Destruction, Meta-Functions

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...Also, it seems that creating a GUI is somewhat cumbersome..

SmartGUI Creator 4.0

(05-03-2011 08:00 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...It's great for what it's designed for...

Agreed Zinga, plus (as shown above) it has also evolved some the last couple years.
Interesting - didn't know all that, thanks.

(05-04-2011 01:35 PM)Firefox Wins Wrote:  AHK can be a good starting point for newbies first programs.

Lifehacker tends to have some decent ahk scripts too.
How much it goes on in the future, we'll have to see.  There is somewhat a rise in scripting languages these days, but at the moment, .NET would have a far higher support base, including job positions etc.

My Blog
05-04-2011 03:53 PM
Firefox Wins Offline
^^^
True.
For $$$, do you currently work with open-source/PHP or .NET/C/Microsoft?

Interesting - didn't know all that, thanks.
Sure, Smile
05-04-2011 05:21 PM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(05-04-2011 08:45 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Yes, forms can be designed visually, but you'll still need to assign underlying code (eg, what happens when a button is clicked).

Ah... Probably that's what he did to "control" a database. I could see that the program can add, edit and delete records into/from a database via the forms.

(05-04-2011 08:45 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Visual Basic often refers to either VB6 or VB.NET.

I don't know whether he used VB6 or VB.NET, Yumi. It was about a year ago.

Well, I think it's "fun" creating a freeware like CheatBook DataBase. All people can use it freely. But I think it's hard to learn the script Biggrin

05-05-2011 06:36 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools