Hackers and Lawyers
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Hackers and Lawyers
Hackers (commoner's definition) are people who often find and exploit loopholes in computer security policies.  Considered illegal activity.
Lawyers are people who often find and exploit loopholes in the law.  Considered legal activity.

Discuss

My Blog
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2011 07:37 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
07-29-2011 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
x-Treme Offline
RE: Hackers and Lawyers
Not much difference in the two...huh?
Either way, we're screwed Smile

Forum Freebies
07-30-2011 05:45 AM
RateU Offline
Administrator
(07-29-2011 07:36 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hackers .....  Considered illegal activity.
Lawyers ..... Considered legal activity.

Maybe because lawyers have a specific title?

07-30-2011 06:32 AM
leefish Offline
Hamster
Maybe it is because (at least in Common Law) the loopholes that are found by lawyers become part of the law and can be referred to later, whereas computer security policies are more like Civil Law and have to be ratified before change?

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
07-30-2011 07:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
^ Essentially how it works, but rather, "hacking" is just illegal that is unlikely to be changed.  Perception wise, hacking is often considered plainly "evil" whereas lawyers seem to be considered as more of a grey area at worst.

Just thought it was interesting at peoples' perceptions of what I consider to be similar activities in different fields.

My Blog
07-30-2011 12:38 PM
Toxic Offline
(07-29-2011 07:36 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hackers (commoner's definition) are people who often find and exploit loopholes in computer security policies.  Considered illegal activity.
Lawyers are people who often find and exploit loopholes in the law.  Considered legal activity.

Discuss

Hackers have only been associated with illegal activity due to the media and their definition displayed to the common users. I was around when this happened and felt that the true meaning of the term "hacker" has long since died off. If the current media displayed such hate and discrimination to lawyers as they did to hackers then it would be the exact same in today's society.

I just hope that one day hackers can once again state that they are a hacker and be proud of it in today's social society.

(Was surfing the net and found this, I'm a hacker).
07-31-2011 12:47 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
The media certainly have a role in this - I agree.

I have a feeling this is somewhat also related to complexity.  Most people probably won't understand the technicalities of either, but hackers are often related to robbers or similar who break into premises without owners' permissions, thus easy for the masses to understand the consequences.  However, explaining loopholes in law is perhaps a more foreign concept that doesn't quite easily translate to something people understand.

I dunno, that's what I think.

My Blog
07-31-2011 01:11 PM
Jack345 Offline
Hackers: A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence 'password hacker', 'network hacker'. The correct term for this sense is cracker.
Lawyers: Person who represents people in a court or advises them on legal matters; attorney; barrister.
Four things that Lawyers and Hackers Have in Common: Rules, Code, Language, Community.
10-20-2011 01:01 AM
Glas Offline
(07-29-2011 07:36 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Hackers (commoner's definition) are people who often find and exploit loopholes in computer security policies.  Considered illegal activity.

Discuss

Quoted for truth
02-03-2012 10:14 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools