Display Name / User Nickname Plugin
This plugin allows users to have differing display and login names.  The former is displayed publicly to everyone (what is seen in posts), whereas the latter is only used for login purposes.

This plugin primarily patches MyBB's login, registration and lost password routines, so "username" often refers to the user's display name (perhaps this should be clarified a bit...).
Thus, to allow users to change their display name, simply give them their usergroup the ability to change username.

Known limitations/issues:
  • Only tested on (and intentionally designed for) MySQL - dunno if it works on other DB engines
  • During un/installation, the plugin will close the board whilst it performs processing to prevent potential issues with database integrity
  • It relies on a few things in the supplied English messages.lang.php and may not work correctly with other languages - this only really affects activation emails
  • Various English phrases are hard coded in
  • Login names aren't quite as vigorously checked as MyBB checks user names - this is to somewhat give users more flexibility, but a potential issue is that when this plugin is deactivated, everyone's username will be set to the login name.  This will generally be a minor issue however.
  • Like login names, display names must be unique (no two people can have the same display name at the same time)
  • Quotes in posts may become a little confusing/misleading if people change their display name often - you may wish to consider my vB Quote plugin which can get around this issue
  • Often "Username" is referred to, although whether it refers to a login name or a display name may be unclear.  For example, when a user tries to log in, it asks for their username and password.  Perhaps I might change this to "login name and password" in a later version.
  • I haven't done a lot of testing on this, so you probably should do some before you use it (and do so at your own risk)

Changelog:
v1.10
- compatibility fixes for MyBB 1.8
- template modifications are now performed on activate/deactivate instead of install/uninstall.  Please note that deactivating the plugin may cause things to go into a weird state, so please don't leave it in that state for long (it's only intended to allow you to fix templates)
- Please see this note if you are upgrading from MyBB 1.6 to 1.8

v1.05
- fix compatibility issues with MyBB 1.6 ACP logins

v1.04
- fixed bug: couldn't update login name

v1.03
- updated control_object function again (no functional difference, but may be required to keep compatibility with my other plugins)
- fixed a potential issue during uninstallation if there's a conflict between login and display names of different users

v1.02
- updated control_object function with more accurate version; functionally indifferent, but may be required to be compatible with my other plugins

v1.01
- fixed bug in regards to activation emails

v1.00
- initial release
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:27 PM by ZiNgA BuRgA.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Download: dispname.php (17.65 KB)
Plugin Version: 1.10
Last Updated: 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Downloads: 3,778
MyBB Compatibility: 1.4.x, 1.6.x, 1.8.x
Plugin License: GPLv3
Uploader: ZiNgA BuRgA
adisp007 Offline
RE: Display Name / User Nickname Plugin
I don't know if this plugin can conflict with current default feature from MyBB.
Currently (MyBB 1.6.8),You can choose to login with:
- Only username
- Only email
- Both email & username

Best Regards,

Adi Sucipta Pratama
09-13-2012 09:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Never tried.
But I thought MyBB originally allowed multiple signups for one email - has that changed?

My Blog
09-14-2012 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sama34 Offline
(09-14-2012 08:18 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Never tried.
But I thought MyBB originally allowed multiple signups for one email - has that changed?

Good point. Erf

Checking the new changes I think it doesn't matter how many users with the same e-mail address there are, as the queries limit the return value to 1 user, therefore the first one that registered using the email (or the user with the lower UID wanting to mess with others) is the one being checking again the password, if that makes sense.

Support PM's will be ignored. Yipi
Plugins: Announcement Bars - Custom Reputation - Mark PM As Unread
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012 09:30 AM by Sama34.)
09-14-2012 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adisp007 Offline
(09-14-2012 08:18 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  ...

Still same as usually.It can be turned off.
[Image: multiemail.png]
I don't know what will happen if it's turned on & use email to login. xD

& this is that new feature:
[Image: loginmethod.png]
I don't know if this plugin can conflict or even can be integrated with this feature. Biggrin

Best Regards,

Adi Sucipta Pratama
09-14-2012 08:32 PM
vega Offline
I have (had) this plugin installed on mybb and when I was doing an update it deactivated the plugins and upon reactivation I would get mysql error 1060, furthermore new users can no longer register, and I cant create new users as admin due to 1062 error duplicate login name even the the user does not exist, does anyone know how to fix this issue?
10-05-2012 06:58 AM
NNT_ Offline
(10-05-2012 06:58 AM)vega Wrote:  I have (had) this plugin installed on mybb and when I was doing an update it deactivated the plugins and upon reactivation I would get mysql error 1060, furthermore new users can no longer register, and I cant create new users as admin due to 1062 error duplicate login name even the the user does not exist, does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Could you give us a screenshot or a live demo? For better assistance Smile
10-11-2012 06:35 AM
vega Offline
http://thecrypt.org/bb/ if you attempt to register you'll get the error 1062.

here's the error you get when trying to activate plugin

[Image: 2_12_10_12_9_31_35.jpeg]

if I delete the table will this f up everything? Im not very knowledgeable on the subject, thanks for the help.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012 07:50 AM by vega.)
10-13-2012 07:44 AM
mitchello77 Offline
Hi Smile

Any chance of this plugin being updated to 1.8 ?
12-04-2014 12:10 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Updated to v1.10:
- compatibility fixes for MyBB 1.8
- template modifications are now performed on activate/deactivate instead of install/uninstall.  Please note that deactivating the plugin may cause things to go into a weird state, so please don't leave it in that state for long (it's only intended to allow you to fix templates)

Upgrading from MyBB 1.6
Note that the registration template (member_register) has been changed, as well as the modifications done to it.  If you have a board on 1.6 and you're upgrading to 1.8, I recommend installing the new plugin, deactivating it, reverting all changes to the member_register template (across all template sets) then reactivating the plugin to get the new changes.
It's not particularly critical to do this - you just may get some Javascript errors on the registration form etc.

My Blog
12-08-2014 05:26 PM
Hamster24 Offline
Pretty nice plugin. i think i will find a use of it in the future
and i am kind scared of templates getting screwed so i am still stuck on 1.6.
12-08-2014 08:24 PM