[split] The SUPER EPIC!! debate about paid MyBB modifications!
Pirata Nervo Offline
RE: Yumi, What Happen?
(05-14-2010 07:23 AM)Harry Wrote:  
(05-14-2010 05:45 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  
(05-14-2010 04:36 AM)Harry Wrote:  You have not disproved anything i said YET. Sorry but phpbb is very relevant to the situation because it is a opensource forum script as well. You don't agree with it because you cannot argue it and rightfully so. It is cool though. And re read what i said. I said connected to ( that means moderate etc at a paid plugin site ) and or have their own paid plugins as far as the developers/support/team members go. It is not as simple as you think. I suggest you learn about who and or why sponsors do what they do. I have worked with them before and clearly know how they operate. It is all about perceptions. MYBB has not made a complete effort towards opensource and that will never change as long as those paid plugins are on that site.

In the end you will NEVER agree because you are one who charges ( so why would you ever agree )  and so lets end it with that and agree to disagree. It is all good and i don't hate you. Smile You are ok in my book. Same cant be said about a few of the others who blow up when this subject comes up and act like total asses.

I don't have any problems with admitting that I might be wrong and that I might be doing something bad. However, I just can't agree with you since I don't think that's the problem.
Plus, sponsors do not care about paid plugins since they're not part of the main project.

They DO care when members of the team are involved with them be it as a moderator or owner of a site that does or ofcourse releases them themselves. It is clearly evident on that forum that open source is not encouraged ( huge no no with sponsors ) because if it was encouraged you would not have ANY team members directing people to a paid plugin site for starters and this happens regardless if the plugin is already available for free. And then ofcourse they allow them to boot. YES Sponsors do care about that. They figure hell why should i sponsor them when they have sources of income EVEN THOUGH the project itself and or Chris B. may not be taking any in. They do not feel like playing guessing games either. All that matters as said is the paid stuff is there and you have team members who direct people to the paid stuff and or is somehow involved in the paid plugin site and or releases them themselves. That is it. Simple as that.

Who, from the development team, is involved with paid plugins?
05-14-2010 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user
Harry Offline
(05-14-2010 07:33 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  
(05-14-2010 04:36 AM)Harry Wrote:  You have not disproved anything i said YET. Sorry but phpbb is very relevant to the situation because it is a opensource forum script as well. You don't agree with it because you cannot argue it and rightfully so. It is cool though. And re read what i said. I said connected to ( that means moderate etc at a paid plugin site ) and or have their own paid plugins as far as the developers/support/team members go. It is not as simple as you think. I suggest you learn about who and or why sponsors do what they do. I have worked with them before and clearly know how they operate. It is all about perceptions. MYBB has not made a complete effort towards opensource and that will never change as long as those paid plugins are on that site.

In the end you will NEVER agree because you are one who charges ( so why would you ever agree )  and so lets end it with that and agree to disagree. It is all good and i don't hate you. Smile You are ok in my book. Same cant be said about a few of the others who blow up when this subject comes up and act like total asses.

I don't have any problems with admitting that I might be wrong and that I might be doing something bad. However, I just can't agree with you since I don't think that's the problem.
Plus, sponsors do not care about paid plugins since they're not part of the main project.

They DO care when members of the team are involved with them be it as a moderator or owner of a site that does or ofcourse releases them themselves. It is clearly evident on that forum that open source is not encouraged ( huge no no with sponsors ) because if it was encouraged you would not have ANY team members directing people to a paid plugin site for starters and this happens regardless if the plugin is already available for free. And then ofcourse they allow them to boot. YES Sponsors do care about that. They figure hell why should i sponsor them when they have sources of income EVEN THOUGH the project itself and or Chris B. may not be taking any in. They do not feel like playing guessing games either. All that matters as said is the paid stuff is there and you have team members who direct people to the paid stuff and or is somehow involved in the paid plugin site and or releases them themselves. That is it. Simple as that.

Team member period but as far as developer goes i believe Tomm M is? He had plans to do a paid plugin or two. Have not been paying much attention as of late to it's development and thus not sure if he has done it or not. I will say though ( from descriptions of it ) it looked to be a decent plugin BUT that still counts regardless of what i think and or if i am willing to buy it or not.

Again i know you are not gonna agree and will find any little thing to disagree with as you are trying to do now. So really no point in it. You are one of those with something to lose if they are removed from the forums there.

Either way we can revist this thread in a year from now and see what has changed. Look up my old threads at mybb on this subject. Again nothing has changed and MYBB continues to sit in the shadows and is riddled with problems because of this stuff.

So lets just agree to disagree.
05-14-2010 07:47 AM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
Lol @ where this is going.

My Blog
05-14-2010 08:37 AM
Harry Offline
(05-14-2010 08:37 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Lol @ where this is going.

Mehh... Not really. Nothing worth blowing up about. Just disagree is all. No biggie.

Not much else to say so that is it from me. If i have not gotten my point across by now then there is really no hope for further discussion. Just have to wait and see again.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2010 09:48 AM by Harry.)
05-14-2010 09:47 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(05-14-2010 07:47 AM)Harry Wrote:  
(05-14-2010 07:33 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

Team member period but as far as developer goes i believe Tomm M is? He had plans to do a paid plugin or two. Have not been paying much attention as of late to it's development and thus not sure if he has done it or not. I will say though ( from descriptions of it ) it looked to be a decent plugin BUT that still counts regardless of what i think and or if i am willing to buy it or not.

Again i know you are not gonna agree and will find any little thing to disagree with as you are trying to do now. So really no point in it. You are one of those with something to lose if they are removed from the forums there.

Either way we can revist this thread in a year from now and see what has changed. Look up my old threads at mybb on this subject. Again nothing has changed and MYBB continues to sit in the shadows and is riddled with problems because of this stuff.

So lets just agree to disagree.

Actually I don't think I'd lose anything if my release threads were removed from MyBB. Most of my traffic comes my signature on MyBB and not from release threads since people do not use the search button.
Either way, I'll stick with my thoughts that paid plugins are not the cause of the current MyBB problem and you'll stick with yours, thankfully there are different opinions on this matter. It wouldn't be good if we all agreed I guess.

Smile

(05-14-2010 08:37 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  Lol @ where this is going.

lol I'm okay here, I'm just trying to understand Harry's point.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2010 11:10 PM by Pirata Nervo.)
05-14-2010 11:10 PM
leefish Offline
Hamster
Well, here we go - look at this from the myBB board. And there was much gnashing of teeth.....

(From the modifications release forum)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
* The thread must be created by the author of the item
* The item must be freely available for download (paid items will not be tolerated)
* The author must be able to provide support for their posted items
* All posted threads must be written in the English language

Please allow up to 48 hours for your thread to be approved. Lastly, please do show some appreciation to the hard working authors of the items by thanking them for all the time and effort they put in for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
link to full thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-70223.html

[Image: leelink.gif]
MYBB1.6 & XThreads
05-24-2010 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
MattF Offline
I personally cannot see how that will make much, (if any at all), difference, overall. Harry does seem somewhat obsessed with the paid/free plugin/mod side of things, (I'm not going to start rehashing this discussion as we've run it into the ground over on Taz), but in my opinion, the plugins/authors aren't the problem as such. It's the person who swears blind problems don't exist because no-one else has reported them or because he hasn't seen them who is the primary problem, (but not the only one). Such a blinkered attitude from a Dev team I have never seen before in my life. That is where the problem lay, IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2010 10:37 PM by MattF.)
05-24-2010 10:35 PM
Harry Offline
(05-24-2010 10:35 PM)MattF Wrote:  I personally cannot see how that will make much, (if any at all), difference, overall. Harry does seem somewhat obsessed with the paid/free plugin/mod side of things, (I'm not going to start rehashing this discussion as we've run it into the ground over on Taz), but in my opinion, the plugins/authors aren't the problem as such. It's the person who swears blind problems don't exist because no-one else has reported them or because he hasn't seen them who is the primary problem, (but not the only one). Such a blinkered attitude from a Dev team I have never seen before in my life. That is where the problem lay, IMHO.

It will make a huge difference. I think even Zinga would agree. Watch and see. Sure some may just go elsewhere or not just do them anymore but others will feel more welcomed to come do them and ofcourse it will end alot of the stress on the community forums.  However the team issues is another thing all together. BUT with less stress on the forums i suspect we may see some of the issues you mention ease up. Besides my constant gripes ( or as you put it " obsessed "  lol) about the paid stuff the developers really have had to put up with a ton of crap. People are quick to forget they do it at their own free will and them unlike most others do not sit on their collective behinds and thus have put a ton of effort into MYBB and making it what it is. Granted you don't care for feature rich software either and so this point probably does means little to you. Which IS fine. Each have different views on what they think is or is not needed and that is cool.

BTW.. As mentioned on TAZ they did not totally ban paid plugins. They are just not allowed to be posted in the plugin or theme release sections anymore. Thus people are still free to continue charging for them which i have no issues with. Just because i think many of them being charged for are crap and are should be free does not mean that i think all should be banned. Just so we have that cleared up. Heck if the work is good and i have a use for it i will buy it as i have IPB etc.

If in a year or two i end up being wrong feel free to quote this and pull it back up if need be. I'll be first to admit it if i am wrong.
05-25-2010 12:18 PM
ZiNgA BuRgA Offline
Fag
I actually personally don't think this policy change will have that big of an impact, by itself, in terms of the amount of third party development going on.
But I'm over this and personally don't really care, so meh.

My Blog
05-25-2010 12:43 PM
Harry Offline
(05-25-2010 12:43 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:  I actually personally don't think this policy change will have that big of an impact, by itself, in terms of the amount of third party development going on.
But I'm over this and personally don't really care, so meh.

I hear you. Guess time will tell.
05-25-2010 01:32 PM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools