Poll: What do you think should be done with Bob Jansen
He should be removed from the staff
He should be promoted for his behavior
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
Technoman Offline
Forum Idiot
RE: Poll to express opinions concerning Bob Jansen
(07-19-2010 05:23 AM)Harry Wrote:  I hate saying it but it seems obvious to me that no matter what anyone does you wont be happy. Sorry but you are being totally unreasonable.

Just because you and me see somethings differently doesn't mean I hate something or I that I am not a happy person. It just means I disagree on one point or another. I respect you!
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 05:54 AM by Technoman.)
07-19-2010 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-18-2010 10:16 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  I wanted to say if we got rid of the script kiddie "source" half of the problems with payed plugins and whining would be gone. Also if ''his'' plugins follow GPL license, he shouldn't be allowed to issue C&D letters or DMCA. Can't we get rid of annoyances and remake the community to enjoy the software?

Again, I think you're referring to labrocca (?), next time please mention names otherwise I have to guess them which is not easy sometimes.
Anyway, yes his plugins do not follow the GPL license neither do mine. However, I could still force someone else's website to be closed temporarily until my plugins were removed from there in case that website was giving out plugins with a license not compatible with GPL (if my plugins were GPL).
07-19-2010 06:41 AM
Lich_king2 Offline
But isn't that illegal? The plugins are under GPL! (Yes I was reffering to Labrocca).

It's time for ZeuBB!Tux
Nota Bene: If people want to be successful they need to help each other.
07-19-2010 06:49 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-19-2010 06:49 AM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  But isn't that illegal? The plugins are under GPL! (Yes I was reffering to Labrocca).

No, I'll re-phrase, maybe I didn't explain correctly.
If I release my software under GPL for free or a fee (doesn't matter which one), you're free to do what you want with it as long as it remains GPL.
That is, if you re-distribute it under a non-GPL compatible license, I can get you to remove my software from your website.

However, none of the paid plugins developers are currently releasing their paid work under GPL - MyBB could get us to delete our content from our website or change licenses. But it wouldn't make much sense because MyBB will move to LGPL
07-19-2010 06:51 AM
Harry Offline
(07-19-2010 06:41 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  
(07-18-2010 10:16 PM)Lich_king2 Wrote:  I wanted to say if we got rid of the script kiddie "source" half of the problems with payed plugins and whining would be gone. Also if ''his'' plugins follow GPL license, he shouldn't be allowed to issue C&D letters or DMCA. Can't we get rid of annoyances and remake the community to enjoy the software?

Again, I think you're referring to labrocca (?), next time please mention names otherwise I have to guess them which is not easy sometimes.
Anyway, yes his plugins do not follow the GPL license neither do mine. However, I could still force someone else's website to be closed temporarily until my plugins were removed from there in case that website was giving out plugins with a license not compatible with GPL (if my plugins were GPL).

Ummm.. No you could not. IF they change to a non GPL i suppose but that is it. Where the heck do some of you all get these ideas from?

Sorry but any of yours/labroccas etc plugins can be redistributed by ANYONE if they so feel like it and nothing any of you all can do. You all did not follow the GPL and thus are the ones at fault for trying to slap a non compatabile GPL license on your stuff. Sure you can sell it but whatever the person does with it is their own business as long as the GPL itself is respected.
07-19-2010 08:29 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-19-2010 08:29 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Ummm.. No you could not. IF they change to a non GPL i suppose but that is it. Where the heck do some of you all get these ideas from?

Sorry but any of yours/labroccas etc plugins can be redistributed by ANYONE if they so feel like it and nothing any of you all can do. You all did not follow the GPL and thus are the ones at fault for trying to slap a non compatabile GPL license on your stuff. Sure you can sell it but whatever the person does with it is their own business as long as the GPL itself is respected.

I suggest you to re-read my post. Anyway to save you time, I'll highlight it for you:
Quote:Again, I think you're referring to labrocca (?), next time please mention names otherwise I have to guess them which is not easy sometimes.
07-19-2010 08:39 AM
Harry Offline
(07-19-2010 08:39 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  

I suggest you to re-read my post. Anyway to save you time, I'll highlight it for you:
Quote:Again, I think you're referring to labrocca (?), next time please mention names otherwise I have to guess them which is not easy sometimes.

And read MINE again. You violated the GPL. Your plugins are supposed to be GPL atleast till MYBB goes LGPL. End of story. So anything you have done up to this point is GPL regardless of whatever non GPL license you are trying to push because that license is invalid. Again if i or anyone else subscribes wanted we could release your plugins for free or whatever else and not a thing you can do. I invite you to try and shut down any website and see what happens the moment the hosting provider finds out that MYBB is GPL as should it's plugins be. You may end up in bigger trouble especially if the site you caused to be taken offline loses income over it.

What it boils down to.. ALL of your mybb plugins/themes have to be GPL. If they are not that is on YOU but again nothing you can do if someone decides to wanna redistribute them. ZERO.. That is because MYBB is still GPL..
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 08:49 AM by Harry.)
07-19-2010 08:48 AM
Pirata Nervo Offline
(07-19-2010 08:48 AM)Harry Wrote:  

And read MINE again. You violated the GPL. Your plugins are supposed to be GPL atleast till MYBB goes LGPL. End of story. So anything you have done up to this point is GPL regardless of whatever non GPL license you are trying to push because that license is invalid. Again if i or anyone else subscribes wanted we could release your plugins for free or whatever else and not a thing you can do. I invite you to try and shut down any website and see what happens the moment the hosting provider finds out that MYBB is GPL as should it's plugins be. You may end up in bigger trouble especially if the site you caused to be taken offline loses income over it.

What it boils down to.. ALL of your mybb plugins/themes have to be GPL. If they are not that is on YOU but again nothing you can do if someone decides to wanna redistribute them. ZERO.. That is because MYBB is still GPL..

Oh well, I'll tell you to re-read my post again...as I've said, WHAT I SAID ONLY APPLIES IF MY PLUGINS WERE GPL
07-19-2010 09:01 AM
Harry Offline
(07-19-2010 09:01 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote:  
(07-19-2010 08:48 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Oh well, I'll tell you to re-read my post again...as I've said, WHAT I SAID ONLY APPLIES IF MY PLUGINS WERE GPL

Regardless if they are or not the GPL overrides it. They are GPL no matter what license you ( or anyone else )  tried to use. YOUR license is invalid... So yeah they can be redistributed if the people buying them wants to do that. Sorry but just because you slap on a non compatible GPL license doesn't make it legal and will never hold up in a court of law or with trying to shut down a site for distributing them.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 09:49 AM by Harry.)
07-19-2010 09:33 AM
exdiogene Offline
@Harry :

I am very sorry to tell you this, but i strongly suggest you to read the GPL license properly or consult a lawyer before stating complete non-sense affirmations.

If a user decide to install a non-GPL add-ons over a GPL application, they are doing something wrong if they try to redistribute the add-ons afterward. And no GPL application owner can do anything against a non-GPL addons author just because he created it or have it for sale...

So, please reconsider your affirmations with a previous legal consultation. Because it is evident that you lack international legal knowledge.

Thank you.
07-19-2010 10:42 AM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Standard Tools